 General / 30185
Re: LEGO Systems Announces New Chief as President
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 19:33:15 GMT

Abner wrote:

BUSINESS WIRE)--May 8, 2001-The Associated Press

LEGO Systems Appoints Andrew Black as President; Former Nike Executive Joins
Toy Company as Peter Eio Retires After 20 Years of Service

ENFIELD, Conn.--LEGO Systems, Inc. (LSI), the Americas division of one of
the world's leading toy companies, today announces the appointment of Andrew
K. Black as President. Black will be based at the company's Enfield,
Connecticut headquarters, and replaces Peter Eio, who plans to retire after
20 years of service in June.
<snippage>
Peter Eio has served as President of LEGO Systems since 1989, when he
relocated to Enfield to head up the U.S. market division of Denmark-based
toy company. Prior to his relocation to Enfield, he was Managing Director of
LEGO U.K. Limited.

I don't think the 1989 date (President of Lego Systems) is correct.  I was
interviewed on the "25 Years of Lego in Canada" segment of CBC 'The Journal'  TV
news show back in 1986 (even though I'm just over the border in metro Detroit),
and Peter Eio was also interviewed (since LEGO took over from Samsonite of
Canada in 1986).  He was identified as the USA LEGO President.

I also have a hand signed letter from "President" Peter Eio from 1987.  I had
complained at that time that the bulk sales process they had available was very
limited in scope, and I couldn't get the parts that I wanted (2x2 windows in
yellow, black, gray, blue, 1x4x5 windows in yellow, 2x2x3 steep slope corners
and straight pieces in all colors -- especially yellow!, and 1x4x5 half arches
in red and yellow) .....  all items I still want today, but cannot get.  Peter
sent me a very nice reply and said that "we will have you building again!"  But
they discontinued the very limited bulk sales policy that year anyway.

Gary Istok