 General / 29166
Re: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.tx
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 00:31:49 GMT

In lugnet.general, Karl Barger writes:

Having pretty much grown up in Texas, I can relate to David's comments.  I
don't think I've ever asked for a facial tissue, it's always been a Kleenex
regardless of the actual brand.  It very well may be a regioinal faux pas.

It's the same story in much of Canada.  I suppose it could be called
"brand dilution" but it's somewhat inevitable if you're the most
recognized brand.  And it could be a good thing, I think.  LEGO claims
to be gunning for that title now...

People call almost all building bricks "LEGO" because that's most
famous one that everyone identifies with.

But back to the note I found from LEGO, it wasn't that they were
saying that people shouldn't call other brands "LEGO", that goes
without saying.  It was that people shouldn't call actual LEGO
by "LEGOS".  That's what I found was funny.  Actually, I took it
from two points of view:
1) I found it almost pathetic:  "Please don't call us that it's
not really our name and we don't like it"  :]
2) It could even be a little "snooty":  "You're not saying it
right!  It's 'LEGO'!!  Sheesh get it right..., you can't buy our
product anymore until you say it right"  :]

In any case, I found it pretty odd, and must be one of the only
examples of a company ever doing such a thing.  I haven't yet seen
Ford pleading that I not call their new small cars "Foci"  ;]

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada