 General / 26607
Re: Minifig scale?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:54:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton writes:
ANYWAY... I made a little spreadsheet, which gives the total percentage
error, and tested different values for minifig foot length from 7.0mm per
minifig foot to 13.0mm per minifig foot.

Ok, so I DO have too much time on my hands:
According to a couple images found online (Actually, they reported avg human
height at 66" too, so I feel rather vindicated in that at least), "average"
human width (not that it MEANS anything) is about 9.43 inches front-to-back,
and 13.71 inches side to side.

And the best all around error was at 8.8mm per 1 minifig foot, with total of
0.595, still about 20% avg error.

That gets revamped to the least overall error at: 1 minifig foot is about
10.2mm, with a total error of 0.626 (about 21%)

That would mean minifigs are about:
9.41 inches front-to-back
18.82 inches side-to-side
49.41 inches tall (4 feet, 1.41 inches)

Wow, that's pretty darn close to what Jeff said initially!:
In conclusion, a more suitable "minifig scale" would be:
1 minifig height = 4 ± 1 feet.

And out of ridiculously bizarre coincidence, it makes my AT-AT (the one that
I built to be 75 feet tall) 51 feet tall instead (what other people were
arguing it 'should' be to begin with!), which is what that whole little SW
debate went on about... hm... Wow, that's a whole heck of a lot more
difference than I actually expected!

DaveE