 General / 23755
23754  |  23756
Subject:
Lego? racers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 15:17:25 GMT

we have already hashed over the 2001 sets here at lugnet, disparaging or
defending bionicle, technic, star wars, etc. But I have noticed little
mention of Lego racers. Is this because they simply defy explanation? How
long has it been since Lego has sold a toy(as opposed to a tshirt, book or
video game) that did not require building to at least a small extent? Now
perhaps it is simply a return to Lego's honored roots when they produced toy
cars and vehicles in wood and plastic. This is somewhat defensible. But it
can also be argued that while they are attempting to widen their brand by
allying the name Lego with all forms of childhood entertainment they are
also diluting the traditional strong base of that brand. If this toy really
involves no construction, I think it would be better served by being given a
subbrand like Lego duplo or lego primo. Perhaps lego action, or lego
simplistico or anything that does not sully lego system.

But I also want to know what the gimmick is. Even if these cars are
motorized, that is one of the most banal and hoary toy genres imaginable and
is equal to the gimcracks gotten in Happy meals.

What gives?

Jonathan