 General / 22254
Re: Do these LEGO Windows exist???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 14:18:14 GMT

Gary Istok wrote:

Frank Filz wrote:

Gary Istok wrote:
Frank,
With the 1x6x2 shuttered windows, I have a few questions.  Do your CA windows
(type1) actually have a 6x2 (LxH) glass panel?  Or do your CA windows have a 4x2
glass panel?  And with your type 3 windows (the ones without the protruding sills)
do they have the two holes on top?  Or are they without.  Because if what you say
is true, then there are actually about 6 varieties of this window.  I was only
expecting 4 varieties (the 4th being the 1957 verison which is CA and has full
studs on top (like a regular brick).

The CA windows have 2x6 glass. My "type 2" are the only ones with 2x4
glass. Until I looked the other day, I had assumed all the 1x6x2
shuttered windows took a 2x6 glass (I think I had moved a piece of glass
between a 1x6x2 shuttered window and a 1x6x2 unshuttered window at one
point).

My "type 3" windows have both the holes for the nubs on the glass, and
have hollow studs.

I should take some pictures to more clearly illustrate.

What varieties were you expecting? Cool! I had never expected to
actually be contributing to the knowledge of early LEGO window history,
I was mostly expecting a "yes, I've seen all those variations, and here
are the approximate dates of introductions..." response...

I haven't figured out for sure which of my 1x6x2 shuttered windows are
CA and which are not. A bunch, I'm sure of because they are in
practically new condition, and have that brighter red color which is
characteristic of many CA bricks. These came from those 60s windows
packs I won on eBay oh so long ago (at some point, I've got to send you
an e-mail listing all the classic doors I have for trade and get our
trade back on track).

--
Frank Filz

-----------------------------
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com

Frank,  You shouldn't have too much trouble telling ASB from CA as far as the red
windows go.  The white ones are a little harder to tell, but just look for a little
warpage.

When I get home tonight, I will be checking all my 1x6x3 classic windows with shutters
to verify all the above anomolies.  The hollow studs are found on all windows since
1957.  I think I have about 100 of these shuttered windows in red, and about 30 in
white, with at least 25% made of Cellulose Acetate.  For some reason, I haven't used
these yet in any building (I've been saving them for a special project -- along with the
1x6x2 (3) pane windows).  The one thing that can skewer my own observations is the fact
that most of mine (about 85%) are from Europe, with fewer from the USA (most of these
would be Samsonite).  You might have some Samsonite versions that I don't have.  Please
let me know what you find out.

And as for our pending trade, I haven't forgotten you.  It's just that the trade total
just keeps growing.

Gary Istok

Boy Frank you sure did "open up a can of worms".......

I checked last night.  I have about 130 of the red 1x6x2 shuttered windows.  And I checked
each and every one.  And guess what.  There are 6 (!!!!) varieties to this window.  All of
them can be determined simply by looking at the top (studs) of the window.

First of all when the pane of glass in the window is only a "half" pane (just covers area
behind the window portion and not behind the shutter portion), the two small holes on top
are between studs (2&3) and (4&5).  If the window is a "full" pane (fills in behind the
window and shutter portion), the two small holes on top are between studs (1&2) and (5&6).
These little holes are what holds the window panes in place, since there are two small pips
of plastic in the window panes that snap into these holes.

Here is what I have (with counts in parethesis):

Full Stud windows with sills (and 2 small holes on top):
#1 -- CA   1957 windows are "half pane" -  (4)

Hollow Stud windows with sills (and 2 small holes on top):
#2 -- CA   1958-64 windows are "half pane" - (23)
#3 -- CA   1968-64 windows are "full pane" -  (14)
#4 -- ABS 1964-71 windows are "half pane" - (55)
#5 -- ABS 1964-71 windows are "full pane" -  (9)

Hollow Stud windows without sills (and without 2 small holes on top):
#6 -- ABS 1972-80 windows are "full pane" -  (25)

Note: full pane window types #3 and #5 have a small long ridge of plastic along the inside
far corners of the windows that hold the wide full pane in place along the side edges.
Window type #6, also a full pane type, does not have any such ridge.

I still had a batch of 43 of these windows set aside from three German sellers.  And it was
very interesting, since none of the "full pane" windows were among these 43.  Only half pane
windows.  Since many of these windows were used, and of several different varieties,.  It is
possible that Samsonite made the full pane windows, and TLC Europe made the half pane
windows.  That is until 1972, when all windows were full pane (and of course minus the
sills).  But I cannot for sure claim this as gospel, since I have 3 white "half pane"
windows from my 1963 Junior Constructor set (717), which has all its' original pieces.  I
will have to query some of my European collector friends to see what they have in full pane
windows.

Stay tuned,
Gary Istok