 General / 18516
Re: Help with part inventory for Lego Samsonite #021
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 17:43:52 GMT

Geeeeeeee, I love questions about sets 725 an 717.......... :-)
So my reply is mixed in below.....

Manuel Cueto wrote:

Saddly I have to say that I have the later one.

That is nothing to be sad about.  If you had the earlier version, you would have
the same version as was found throughout Europe in their 810 Town Plan.  The later
version is unique to the USA/Canada (the UK also had a later 810 Town Plan version
unique to the UK, but different from the Samsonite one).

It is incomplete (is without cars, except a bug VW black, but I think this not
belongs here, maybe a tree, a light). I built all the houses, I have a little
difficult to built the esso service, because I have a lot of extra pieces. I
found the last week a scan instructions in the web for the service. That can
help me in the future to make this more acurrate (All the esso service
buildings are the same? I know the red border, but I means in construction).

There should be 2 VW cars and 3 trucks with this set (one Fire Truck, one Tow
Truck, one Esso Tank Truck).  There should also be 1 Esso sign, 1 set of Esso
pumps, 1 street light, and 4 or 5 old roadsigns.  Also there should be a few old
style trees and bushes.  Basically all Esso buildings should be the same, but it is
possible that the back of the USA version used clear bricks instead of 1x4x2 white
windows.  Also that red border along the top edge of the roof plates is made from a
red marker pen.  This was applied by hand by the LEGO employees, and not part of
the brick molding process.  You could do that yourself with a red marker pen.  The
garage door also had a variation.  White garage doors were used in earlier LEGO
Esso sets (#310 Esso Set was never sold in USA/Canada) and Town Plans, red garage
doors came later.

I receive with the town plan a lot of slope blue bricks (8 2x2 and four corner
slope). If I remember well in the 810 inventory said that have the same (blue
bricks). But the question remains here (Belongs or not?)

I don't think those blue sloped bricks were originally part of your set.

I am a little confused with the Fonts on the bricks. The 725 have straight
letters, and I have later sets with the open O (1969). (I also have bricks 1x6
with mixed fonts, straight and open O, this is in other set). The garage have
three differnt fonts (including the old open O with the doted line in the
gate) I read in an old message that the fonts don´t match with any year, but I
expect some kind of correspondence.

Your 725 pieces should be all Cellulose Acetate.  If you have any ABS plastic, they
were not original to this set.  I have an old parts pack of Cellulose Acetate 1x6
and 1x8 yellow beams.  The 1x6 beams had one font, the 1x8 had a different one.
There can be a mixture of different fonts.  But if you have more than 2 different
fonts, I would think that some of these did not originally come in this set.

I also saw that the 725 have like 700-800 pieces. (Some guy said that have
1500, but this don´t match). I have to count again it.

The 700-800 piece count sounds right.  1500 piece count is not correct.

My 725 set arrive with two boxes. The print one and this inside a transport
one, that fits like a glove. This said Lego By Samsonite in BIG BIG letters.
(I love the outer box).

Wow, looks like you got an example of the packing box that originally came with the
set.  I have never seen this one, but I do have a packing box to an old #712 wooden
box set from Germany (from 1962).  These packing boxes make the set more
collectible/valuable.  Does your set come with the original white cardboard
dividers that separates the box into 8 compartments?  And is there a black
cardboard "floor" to each compartment?  If so, you have the original inside
packaging.

Gary Istok

Manuel Cueto

In lugnet.general, Gary R. Istok writes:

Manuel Cueto wrote:

In lugnet.general, Gerald Hill writes:
Is there someone that has a Lego Samsonite #021, Wheels who can give me a
parts inventory for this set?
Did it come with an instruction booklet?

In Database/Set inventories / 311 exist a complete one.

And a help for me, who Knows of a Town plan 725 inventory?

Manuel

Hi Manuel,

First a few things about the Samsonite sets.  Many of the European sets from
the 1950's and 1960's had a parts list ("beipackzettel" in German).  I have
never seen one of these in any Samsonite set.  A question for you on your 725
Town Plan set.  Do you have the earlier (1961-62) version with the boy on the
box with brown hair?  Or do you have the later (1963-64) version with the boy
on the box who has very short blond hair?  I have the later set (which I
purchased incomplete).  If you have the earlier set, then that set is
identical to the European 810 Town Plan set.  I know Mark Harrison posted the
contents to the 810 set (which originated from Phil Traviss in England).  I
will Email you a copy of that original contents list.

The way I would go about it is to actually build the Town Plan.  That should
give you a close guess as to the parts counts.  There will probably be about
20 or 30 extra pieces.  I have the 717 Junior Constructor set (1963-64
version), the other large set that Samsonite sold.  Luckily that set was
complete, although opened.  There were about 20 extra pieces.  I will do a
parts inventory and will share the results.

There are actually 4 different Town Plan sets (two of which are probably
identical).  They are:

1960-68  #810 Town Plan sold in Continental Europe and UK (until 1962) (boy
with brown hair).
1963-66  #810 Town Plan UK only version (boy on box with brown hair and
wearing a tie).
1961-63  #725 Town Plan sold in USA/Canada (same box and contents as 1960-68
European 810)
1963-64  #725 Town Plan sold in USA/Canada (boy on box with short blond hair).

The Town Plan boards to these sets were as follows:

#200 - 1960-68 Continental Europe/UK (1960-62) Board.
#200 - 1963-66 UK only board has different layout of the same town blocks.
#246 - 1961-62 USA/Canada board is identical to the Continental European
board.
#246 - 1963-64 USA/Canada board has updated front, but same layout as earlier
#246.

Gary Istok