 General / 18430
RE: A new scan for 371 (fake?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 22:51:42 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon D Hayward [mailto:JonDHayward@BlueYonder.co.uk]
Sent: Saturday, May 20, 2000 9:34 AM
To: lugnet.general@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: A new scan for 371 (fake?)

Appologies for this not threading...bad mail server at work [MS Exchange]

And here's my 7 cents (I've a lot to say!):

Whytcross, Benjamin <BWhytcro@pacificaccess.com.au> wrote in message
ficaccess.com.
au...
1) Step 1 uses a 2x2 corner plate, which I don't believe • were available
then. [It is also shown as a 2x2 plate here]
2) In step 2 this piece changes shape into 2 2x1's

It's a 2x2 plate attaching to the top of the motor step. Poor quality
drawings...

Fair enough...Very bad quality drawing though, I'd agree.

3) Step 4 apparently uses a 2x3 plate with center pin for helicopter • rotor,
but it wouldn't be possible to attatch this piece here

That's just a plate with a 1x1 cylinder on it. Poor quality again...

Agreed

4) The sleeper cab on the truck changes width between steps • (step 2 and 3
there are 2 3x2 cab halves, step 4 there are 2 3x3 halves • [look at the
section added in step 2, then at the same saction in step • 3, and then in
step 4.]

Steps 2 and 3 show a pair of 2x3 plates on top. Step 4
includes an extra
layer of plates which fill the gap, giving a total area of 6x3.

I'd like to question this...If you look at the level with the windows, the
cab on the left goes from a 2xX piece to a 1xX with a 2xX next to it, and a
1xX piece inserts itself next to the right-hand cab.

5) The colour change from blue to white on the 2 2x8 bricks
between steps
6
and 7 [I know this did occasionally happen, but not
generally over the
whole
of a piece this size. Generally it only happened on small • sections of a
part.]

The photo suggests blue. I'll go for that 8-)

Point taken...Just noticed 1x6 brick near back of cab [step 4], compared to
the photo.

Take a look at 2126, the recent train wagon set... now tell
me that all
those are fake too!

6) The inclusion of instructions for self-steering
models...WHY? There
were
no steering parts used in the model, so why bother adding • instructions for
their use?

Because it's a "Motorized Truck Set", i.e. it contained
enough parts to make
the 2 trucks shown! Bit like 310 really ;-)

Sorry...I'm not too knowledgeable about samsonite/US only sets, as we in
Australia only get european sets [in a very limited range].

----

Some other points (or 'replies to too many other messages') -

My guess is that it was produced solely by Samsonite...
American spelling
and American prototypes (the semi, the bus and the dumper - not at all
European). As such, I'd suggest that Samsonite attempted to
produce their
own drawings in this instance, but they weren't up to the usual LEGO
standards.

Sets of this era _did_ use a lot of small plates :-)

The 1x3 plate in step 1 is actually a 2x3 plate which fits
under the motor
for added strength - the exhaust _won't_ fall off.

Tubeless clear 1x2s existed early on in Cellulose Acetate,
but they probably
weren't really used in this set - that's just a short cut in
the drawings.

The battery box was meant to be hand held. How else would you control
forwards and backwards? OTOH, the set might not have had been
supplied with
a battery box (yes, I know that one is pictured, but 'extras'
sometimes
are): the early tall motor was designed with the Ever Ready
(is that brand
known world wide?) 4.5v spring terminal battery in mind.

The semi is not one of the standard type of early steerable
trucks, so it
doesn't need to follow the convention for the grille, etc.

The better quality of the wrecker pictures is because they
were originally
produced by LEGO in Europe, then Samsonite would have been
allowed to take a
copy.

6x12 plates were probably used in place of 6x24s to give a
better range of
options for the alternate models.

----

The only bit I'm confused about is that fifth wheel
arrangement. When did
4x4 turntables arrive though? Is it possible that this set
dates from 1966
(first year for the motor IIRC), and the turntable didn't
arrive until after
the set was released? Dunno...

The 4x4 turntable is shown in the 1965 UK catalogue [page 3] on Brickshelf.
I'd assume that it was available to samsonite as well.

----

Has anyone tried to build it yet? I have the motor next to
me... I have a
box of small plates... the other bits I need are out in the
garage... best I
get on with it then, eh? ;-)

----

Just Jono .oO

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)