 General / 17955
Re: Anyone want hinge bricks from Lego Direct?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build.arch
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 02:14:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Matthews writes:

Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in message
Dr. John,

You've got my attention.  I'll take 100 in each color.
They make for great multi-sided buildings, and buildings of odd angles.
I'll take any color they produce.

But I still want classic windows....

Gary Istok
"Representing the interests of the skyscraper folks"

Hey that gives me an idea!  With hinges and classic windows, I could build a
Flat Iron Building! Cool!  Yeah, I want some of these parts...

Build On!
John Matthews

Hi, John,

An Internet search reveals that there are several cities with a "Flat Iron"
Building.  What they all share is a general wedge-shaped floor plan, built to
occupy a troublesome space between to almost-parallel streets.

Which particular Flat Iron Building did you have in mind?  The first and most
famous one, apparently, is the one in New York City...

http://www.DesignCommunity.com/scrapbook/images/68.html

Yes, this would be cool in Lego.  But you'll need about 600 of the small
windows!

But there are others -- in Calgary and Lacombe, Alberta,

http://public-library.calgary.ab.ca/tours/com/com80.htm
http://www.harrypalmergallery.ab.ca/galsentplaces/lacombe.html

and Asheville, North Carolina.

http://www.asheville-nc.com/flatiron.html