 General / 17691
17690  |  17692
Subject:
In Praise of Brasso (was: Cool Score -- "Vintage" LEGO!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:01:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:

Unfortunately, the previous owner of this collection apparently ran out of
black bricks one day, because a good number of bricks have been colored in
with a magic marker.  I am having limited results cleaning this off with
rubbing alcohol and an old toothbrush, but I would appreciate any cleaning
tips/suggestions that anyone might have...?

Brasso. Use LUGNET's search engine.

Brasso, indeed!  I bought a tin of Brasso last night at Wal*Mart for under $3
and tried it out.  It easily removed the black magic marker (except where the
ink had been worked into cracks, scratches, and tooth marks) in less than a
minute per afflicted brick.  It also did well against a red substance that
could have been either nail polish or red ink from a ball-point pen.  It was
less effective against oil-based paint, but I didn't buff all that hard yet.

Overall, the results were very good.  Though a few bricks experienced some
dulling, most became quite shiny again.  In those cases where the bricks got
dull, it seemed to be the result of impatience on my part, (buffing too
hard/too fast) so take your time!  But in all cases, the bricks ended up in
better shape than they started.

Brasso wasn't so good at removing yellowed stains, but those are only apparent
on the white pieces that I assume can survive a little bleach.  (Hmm... I'd
better be careful with that one, doesn't Brasso contain amonia?)

Not that Brasso needs any more "me too" testimonials up here on LUGNET, but it
worked great for me!