 General / 16621
Re: Part counts and mini-figures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:59:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Lovelace writes:
I've got a long-time question, and for some reason it's taken until now for
it to occur to me to ask someone...

What's the official part count in a mini-figure?  Why is it that things like
hats, tools, airtanks, etc., are not counted?

Joshua Delahunty has a very good understanding of these rules (having deduced
them from analyzing hundreds and hundreds of piece counts), but he also says
there are anomalies that pop up from time to time.

The one rule which seems to hold up the most consistently, IIRC, is that the
minifig head shipped attached to the torso is always counted as part of the
torso -- as if the two were actually one piece.

One rationale for this is that the head and torso are always shipped attached,
thus from a factory point of view, they're "one piece."  Another rationale is
that the head is so specialized that it can only go atop a torso.  (Now, that's
not literally true, but it's how LEGO does it in the official models up through
the early 1990's.)  In contrast, an airtank primarily goes atop a minifig
torso (at the neck) but also is used as a fuel tank (gray) in many official
Space sets back through 1978/9.

Another rule (I think) is that extra elements aren't always counted.  (Extra
visors in particular come to mind here, but I'm not positive.  I think this
is one of the areas where Joshua found anomalies.)

A perfect example are these Samsonite mini-figure accessory packs.  Take
#0012, the two red spacemen.  Todd gave this a tentative part count of {8}.
Now, I'm no dummy, but this places a part count of 4 for each spaceman.

Oops, the counts there are (were) missing the airtanks...  For #0012, it
should be:

    1 - Legs (three molds, but one piece from the factory)
    1 - Torso plus head (six molds, but one piece from the factory)
    1 - Helmet
    1 - Airtank
    1 - Radio/Walkie-talkie
  ---