 General / 14373

Subject:
"Liftoff!" Lego animation details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 19:06:36 GMT

I received an email from Thomas Foote (members.xoom.com/thomasfoote) inquiring
about details of how I created "Liftoff!"  I thought I would share my answers
for those who are interested (I will also be updating my site with more details
at http://home.earthlink.net/~lightdog):

Basically the way I did the animation:

I started out by shooting some "motion tests" of a mini-fig walking.  This
allowed me to define a basic "walk cycle" to determine speed of movement
(i.e.: how much a leg should move over a given number of frames).  Once I
had this walk cycle defined, I could animate all the other elements in
relation to this walk cycle.  What I determined was that the "skip frame"
method worked best: one movement for every two frames I advanced on the
super-8 camera.  If I wanted to make a minifig "run", then I would
naturally shoot only one frame for every movement.  The basic frame rate
thus worked out to nine frames a second, since I was using a camera whose
basic frame rate was 18 fps (one of the standards of super-8).  The super-8
projector was also playing back at 18fps, and I transferred to film to
BetaSP at 18fps.

The way I kept track of all the movement was to develop a "movement plan"
for each shot. I would move each character in a predefined order: for
example: first the foreground left minifig, then the foreground right
minifig, then the truck, then the car in the background and so-on.  Since
it would take hours to shoot a scene, it was a pretty zen-like experience.
Fortunately nobody really interrupted me while I was working.

The "sets" were basically some of the old space sets and some town sets.  I
recycled the road plates and the trees for the driving shots.  I shot
everything on my parent's dining room table.  The orange backgrounds
consisted of bed sheets hung over chairs.  I created the sense of big sets
by using sand (careful not to get too much on the floor).

The movie exists as a super8 reversal film which I then transferred to
BetaSP video.  I digitized the movie for the web using a VHS copy (not the
best, but all I could do right now until I can digitize the BetaSP
footage).  I rezised the movie in After Effects and exported using the
Sorenson codec at a fairly low quality and 10 fps to get the three-minute
movie down the 3.5 Mb. The audio actually takes up a significant portion of
that 3.5Mb, even though it is only  mono 8 bit.

For the moving camera shots I built a camera crane out of some Marklin
parts I had around.  I mounted the camera to that and just moved it along
like any of the other pieces.  The fades I accomplished in-camera, slowly
dialing the iris up or down over successive frames.

The vertical jumps you see are the result of the super-8 tape splices.
Performing clean super-8 splices was a difficult task...

The flying shots were accomplished by simply having a family member (or
sometimes myself) hold the ship at the very edges so as to hide the camera
support.  I experimented with large sheets of glass, but that was after I
finished "Liftoff!"

Re: "Liftoff!" Lego animation details