 General / 14054
Re: Who oversees the rec.toys.LEGO newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 13:40:23 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tony Kilaras writes:

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
[...]
I don't use profanity here on Lugnet largely because Todd insists on it • and
not because I agree with this policy -- which I don't, I think its silly.

It's hardly silly at all, actually...  It may be unfortunate for some,
perhaps, but it's a completely sound logical decision nonetheless.  And
it actually has nothing whatsoever to do with personal preferences[1] or
worrying whether kids[2] are reading.

The reason is simple:  The excessive gutter language and flamewars in RTL • is
what drove many good people away (in frustration, horror, disbelief, etc.)
during 1994-1998.  I could name at least ten who specifically left at • various
times as a result of uncivilities amplified by unnecessary obsceneties.

Ok, name them.

Well I really don't think this post needs a reply and I have instituted my own
rule about not posting flames in response to ignorant posts, so I won't but
this seems as good a place as any for me to post about how I feel on the
matter.

1.  As has been stated previously this is Todd's place.  He pays for it.  He
manages it.  It is his, not ours.  If I could I would thank Todd every day for
creating LUGNET because without it I would not have met so many very nice
people that share a love for something we have a passion for.

2.  I agree with Todd in that we all use off-color language occasionally and
any Kid that has not been shut in a closet their entire life has heard just
about anything any adult has.  (Although they may lack the understanding of the
true meanings of those words).  So this is more a case of just being civil with
each other.  We all share something in common that makes us happy and there is
no need for incivility among us.  I realise that .debates come up that bring
out our differances and there are other subjects that we all have differing
opinions on but even then we can discuss our feelings in a civil manner.

3.  It is my personal opinion (disagree with it if you will) that posting to
any newsgroup is differant then every day conversation.  When you are writing
something it takes more thought that when you are participating in a
conversation.  You have time to think about what you are writing and in my
opinion if you can not express yourself without the use of off-color or
offensive language then you need to figure it out.  It is not difficult.
Actually it is quite easy and if you can't handle it maybe this is not the
place for you.

4.  Name calling, again in my opinion, is many times worse than any off-color
language that may occasionally get out.  There is absolutely no place for it
and nothing good ever comes from it.  I personally think Todd has been more
than generous in this area.  If this were my place I think my policy when it
came to name calling would be a lot more strict than what Todd's is.

5.  I personally do not read rec.toys.lego for many of the reasons previously
stated in this thread along with the fact that I am a "compartmentalization
geek" and while I try and read most posts I tend read only those posts in a few
groups because that is what interests me.

6.  I have also stopped or mostly stopped reading posts when they are written
by certain people only because I personally don't like their attitude.  That is
my choice and I would not be supprised if others did the same.  My point being
is that I could do the same on rec.toys.lego but if I did I would have to sift
through more messages than I care to in order to find one that interests me and
is writen by someone I respect.

Really it all comes down to respect.  Whether it is respect for Todd and his
rules or respect for someone elses opinion we all deserve it.  For me respect
is something you lose not something you have to gain.  I will respect anyone
and their views until they do something to lose that respect.  This may be
because I am an optimist or because I am to trusting but that is how I feel.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/