 General / 12632
Re: Introducing LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 13:44:11 GMT

I belive that The Lego Group should not model war-toys.
Some people claim that variou elements within current range go against this, I
don't agree.  Castle,Adventures, Wild West etc should be regarded as FICTIONAL
scenarios which "should" have little impact on childrens views. The jury I
belive is still out on whether fictional violence encourages actaul Violence.

Not to sound too harsh but try telling the Native American Indians that the
Wild West theme is based on Fiction.  What happened to the Native American
Indians was very much real and we should not forget that.

What I really think you are trying to get at is "Modern" war-toys with Tanks
and Machine Guns etc.  I would agree that TLC should not go that far but that
does not mean that TLC has not released conflict oriented themes in the past.
In my mind at least 75% of all the System sets are conflict oriented whether
fictional or not.  That is not necessarily a bad thing but I think that one of
the things that got this started was LEGO's contradictory stand on guns in
sets.  I believe that the argument is that TLC's stand is that guns are OK in a
historical setting but not modern settings but even this has been contradicted
in some of the Outback Sets.  For me I would just like TLC to make a stand one
way or the other and stick to it.

Perhaps if through Lego Direct or other iniatives The Lego Group could clarify
it position on this issue.

This would be great.  Again if TLC made their policy on guns in their sets
public and then stuck to their policy I think much of this discussion would not
be necessary.

Additonaly I belive that acted conflicts in childhood may discourage real ones
if things are adequatly explained to them. ( I think that PlayMobil people
were once used in aiding children that had been involved in abuse cases. No
nobody could dismiss that as being wrong.) It is also a thought of mine that
parents should be prepared to assist thiwer children in some play with Lego in
order to explain some of the "moral" concerns they may have.

You are right that Parents need to take a more active role in teaching their
children.  I am sure most parents are good at this but definitly not all
parents.  It is up to the parent to teach right and wrong not a school system,
government or other 3rd party.

This is getting borderline off-topic so depending on your response to this
message you may want to send reply's to .off-topic.debate

Eric K.

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/