 General / 12199
Re: Girls and LEGO (was: Re: Introducing LEGO Direct)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.belville, lugnet.scala
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 02:36:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Steve Martin writes:
<snip>
So far my little girl is showing some interest in
lego.  I am a little worried that she isn't interested enough.  Although my
wife encourages me by reminding me she is only 10 months old.  ;-)

Steve

LOL too!  Give her time, Steve, and she probably won't need very much, with
your encouragement... my just-turned-two-year-old has lots of Primo
and Duplo, and she continually asks to "build a tower", "build a dinosaur",
"make a choo-choo train", and tonight made a farm.  Not what you'd immediately
recognize, but we had fun.  When your little girl gets the hang of piling
the bricks properly and realizes they stay together, watch out, the sky's the
limit!  She still likes taking hats and heads off minifigs, though, which seems
to be common amongst little children - just a warning.

To stay on topic, I think the girly lego has its uses, if it introduces girls
who live and breathe pink girly things (either through conditioning or natural
inclination) to Lego and leads them to build their own things.  There are loads
of AFOL's, male and female, whose creations have nothing to do with conflict -
it's not a one-to-one correspondance from "regular Lego is all conflict and is
for boys" and "pink Lego is non-conflict and is for girls", that's nonsense of
course.  I agree that girls (or, if you prefer, "those with a preference for
less conflict and adrenaline") could use a bit more scope from TLC, but most
sets can be played with with a non-conflict approach, if you see what I mean -
the cowboys and Indians don't have to be enemies.  The tendency for children
who own Lego to be boys is less a reflection on the children, but on parents.

Whew, enough philosophy for now.  Gotta go build some stuff.

Heather Patey
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Pirate Wench / Brick Detective