 General / 11770
Re: Introducing LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 16:42:09 GMT

Tom Boucher wrote:

OK, I say this for all the Star Wars people out there.   RELEASE A
STORMTROOPER MINI-FIG PACKAGE!!!  You have a 'Town Folks' and a "Ninja
Nights' Package, you want something to fly off the shelves?  Release a
simple 'Stormtroopers' with 5 little stormtroopers.   You would never be
able to keep the things in stock.

Nono - FOUR Stormtroopers, ONE Tie Fighter pilot ;-)

Or release a Stormtrooper pack, and other minifig PACKS - yes, plural.  The SW
universe has plenty of characters to support several packs, all would sell well.

Suggestions:
    5 Stormtroopers
    Tie fighter pilot, Tie bomber pilot (if different? Dunno), basic R2/R5
droid, Deathstar personnel (COOL helmet!)

    I'm sure other fanatics could suggest a good pack.

Or HEY, how about this?  You know the 30 minifig Dacta Community Workers?
Release a 30-50 SW minifig pack, with almost all unique figs, and the
Stormtroopers 5pack on the side.

You really need to release a Tie fighter and Tie bomber too ;-)

Let's re-think your packaging, especially the large sets.  I large amount of
people, both adults and children like to keep their boxes and instructions.
The boxes these days are downright ugly.  There is no storage except the few
plastic trays that have the 'cool pieces' that all lego sets have.   But
sets like the Mos Espa Pod Race that was a big box with three smaller boxes
inside it have got to go.  Honestly, I think the best designed boxes you've
ever had were the Expert Builder sets - like the Auto Chassis.  There was a
center section for all the gears and axels, and then there were places for
the wheels, etc.   It all fit nicely, and I still have it.

And stop the "empty" packaging.  The 99 sets SUCKED, the boxes are half air!
After I got the 1775s from S@H, I found how truly compact TLC can pack boxes if
needed.  Anything over a $5 set can stand a major downsizing on the box, they
take up way too much room (in my HUGE closet, spare bathroom, computer room,
front room, etc - dang things are everywhere BUT our bedroom (my wife draws the
line there).  I repacked some 99 sets last night, I could fit 2-3 sets into ONE
box without seriously cramming them.

Then I have 8880 Super Car and I can't keep things as neatly sorted.  Axels
and all the other pieces are just toss tumble tumble.  It's frustrating.  If
you don't want to improve the box design, come out with some real storage
stuff for it.    We are using things like tackle boxes, trays, tubs, coffee
cans, cut up milk cartons, anything we can find to try and store this.  I'm
not the largest collector by a long shot, but I've got about 30,000 pieces
that is constantly growing.  Please help.

Oh yes, an official storage system would be nice.  However, DON'T release it
like the open trays the Lego shops use - make sure they are tubs/trays/boxes
with lids that snap on securely, and that the dividers actually touch the lid
when shut, so that if the box rolls over (don't ask), pieces stay in their
compartements.