 General / 11735
Re: Introducing LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:40:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Steve Bliss writes:
[snipped .dear-lego from the ng list]

In lugnet.dear-lego, Kevin Loch wrote:

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
My one wish? Let me put my money where my mouth is. I've shot off about
how your sites can be improved in the past. Put me (and the firm I work
for) to the test. Late summer? We may be able to help you accelerate
that date.
Excellent suggestion.  I can't help but think that ldraw technology
is necessary for the parts ordering system.  This would prevent them
from using proprietary technology which may have held up this in the past.

The LEGO Company has much better tools than LDraw.  I remember a year or two
ago, they were posting job openings that required experience with a specific
high-end CAD/3D-modeling tool (maybe it was ALIAS?  I don't remember for • sure).

I'd assume that all of LEGO pieces have been modeled in a graphic-objects
database, especially the newer ones, where CAD tools would be used throughout
most of the design process, especially in the later stages, when the molds are
being designed and fabricated.

Of course all of the pieces are modeled in a high end graphics package.  They
need to include things like drafts and parting lines in order to manufacture
these parts.  They certainly don't make tools by hand, ya know!  The problem
is, making these models available to us would also make them available to the
competitors, who could then begin manufacturing exact copies of lego pieces,
thus making it very unlikely that they would release these models.

Adrian
--
http://junior.apk.net/~tremor/lego.html