 General / 11731
Re: Introducing LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:24:51 GMT

I appauld the Lego Company for initiating a relationship with online adult
consumers.  I imagine that it is very overwhelming to find that hundreds of
discussions about a product you produce have taken place in both the LUGNET
newsgroups and the rec.toys.lego usenet newsgroup.  Many ideas have passed through
these forums, ranging from the silly to the sublime and there are many, many ideas
that could be harvested from these discussions that would make the Lego product
better.

I propose that a LUGNET administrator scan the discussions of the last year and
compile a "Best of LUGNET" document that would give the Lego Company a foothold
and a starting point in their new relationship with the community.  Additionally,
it would be nice to start developing a formal document that each LUGNET
participant can contribute to that states his or her most hoped for product
improvements or suggestions (perhaps limited to 10 ideas for the sake of document
brevity).  To this end, I have listed seven things that I think are most important
from this new venture:

1. Bulk Ordering of Basic Bricks

Bulk ordering of bricks was hinted at in the Lego Direct introduction letter.  It
was also stated that this service would be limited in the initial stages.  I would
propose that the system be implemented in such a way as to allow bulk-ordering of
basic bricks at first and sub-sets of specialty pieces at a later date.  One
aspect of basic brick in bulk that would make the service much more appealing
would be the ability to choose any, even non-traditional brick colors.

2. Specialty Bricks in Bulk

There are so many new Lego brick designs, some of which seem to be available in
very limited quantities.  Many of these parts would be of great use if they were
more widely available.  Train windows and doors are probably the most sought-after
specialty bricks in the adult online community.  The Lego train clubs that have
been founded by this community show some of the best Lego modeling and display
work outside of the Lego Company itself.

3. Reissues of Classic Set Designs

A lot of adult Lego enthusiasts reminisce about the Lego set designs that they
love the most, which usually were produced during their childhoods.  Although
adult Lego enthusiasts range in age, I believe the most popular "classic" sets
were produced from the early '80s to early '90s.  Reissuing these sets, or
slightly modified versions of these sets for the online community, would be
greatly appreciated and well-received.

4. Cooperation in Developing a Definitive Lego Set Database

The Lego Company could assist and enhance what has already been developed by
databases such as the set database featured on LUGNET, Kevin Loch's Brickshelf
instruction scan database, and Huw Millington's promotional set database.

5. Cooperation in Developing a Definitive LDraw-type rendering tool

The adult online community has developed excellent virtual Lego rendering software
and parts libraries.  The Lego Company could enhance these tools by providing more
accurate part numbers and endorsing the efforts made thus-far.

6. Endorsement of Lego Clubs

Several Lego clubs have formed around the U.S. and world.  Some of the best
modelling and layout display work is produced by these clubs (especially the train
clubs).  Endorsement or sponsorship of their efforts would benefit the Lego
Company with increased sales and boost the morale of the members involved in these
organizations.

7. Expansion and Revitalization of the Product Line

The train product line is currently very limited...a more well-rounded product
line would appeal to model railroading enthusiasts (as demonstrated by the
reception given to the train clubs at model railroading conventions).  The Town
line is my personal favorite and I miss the more detailed set designs of the 80s
and early 90s when more bricks were used in more intricate designs.  Perhaps both
these product lines would benefit from a return to more traditional set and
piece-count designs (a philosophy which has added to the Star Wars Lego line
popularity)

Again, I appreciate the overture that has been made and I look forward to ongoing
and productive discussions about how the online adult Lego enthusiast community
can work together with the Lego Company.

Brad Justus wrote:
<snip>

--
Thomas Main