 Gaming / 537
Re: When we gonna BrikWar?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh.col, lugnet.gaming, lugnet.loc.us.oh
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 19:19:09 GMT

Note: I'm cross-posting to fun.gaming and lugnet.loc.us.oh to make sure
interested parties hear about this.  I've set followups to ...oh.col only,
though.  For those groups, we are proposing a BrikWars game for Tues or Wens
evening next week.  (8/8 or 8/9)  This is dependant on interest and a room.  We
believe we can get a room at the Guard Tower or The Soldiery.  Setup time at
5:00pm, gaming at 5:30.  Running until 30-45min (cleanup time) before store
closing.

In lugnet.loc.us.oh.col, Drew Lawrence writes:
Tuesdays and Wednesdays are fine. I don't have any classes on those days. (And
if we did do our BrikWar events on Thursdays, I'd have to leave around 4:30,
as my class is an hour-and-a-half out of Columbus.)
  Well, since I (or, probably, anyone else who works full-time) couldn't even
start until 5:00 or so Thursdays are pretty much out.

BTW, I'm thinking about a capture the flag scenario.  Each player will have
a base area on a 32x32 baseplate.  With some random scenery around the field.
I'm still thinking about how to do capture the flag with >2 teams.
That sounds cool. How many building points will we start out with? 200-300?

  I volunteered to provide all of the scenery (aren't I foolish).  I figure to
provide several base areas.  No buildings.  Just a valley or tree-ed
area with a clearing.  I'll build 1-2 more than I get RSVPs.  Then everyone
else will get to pick (probably roll dice for order).  I'll take whatever is
left.  This encourages me to build very balanced base areas.

  As to armies, I figure we can handle 250CP armies in the time available.
Some of us(1) have been prone to way overbuilding.  We'll have to control that.
A strict CP limit is the only sound way to go here.  We've learned we go crazy
otherwise.

  So, 250CP, TL5-6.  BW2000 rules (including new costing for troopers based on
TL).  We'll be using the order of play system we used on 7/15.  (Everybody
rolls d6 @ turn.  1s go first, then 2s,...  Conflicts, when it matters, are
handled with a roll-off.)

  We also adopted a new system for dealing with conflicts.  Anytime a unit
tries something that seems to be pushing the limits of reasonable (or whenever
someone thinks something needs contested), a stupendous feat style roll-off is
used to determine the feasability.  This really helps cut down on debates.
Anytime there is a judgement call needed (unless the group is mostly unanimous)
a roll-off ends it quickly and fairly.

  We, at least I, can never seem to remember who wins tie rolls.  I'll pour
over the rules and put together a chart with the different scenarios.

  We've been ignoring most skill roll modifiers except cover and ninjas.  This
seems to work fair, and it simplifies life.

  I'd recomend another rule addition or two.  Anyone can always tell where any
flag is.  We can say that each flag has a homing beacon which can't be
deactivated or masked.  Additionally, flags are indestructable.

  Anyone is welcome to attend.  I'd strongly suggest an RSVP (or at least an "I
might make it") by Sunday afternoon.  That gives me a chance to get ready.
Please, email me at gmelone@columbus.rr.com or post here.  I won't be able to
check work email (meloneg@oclc.org) over the weekend because of a scheduled
power outage in the computer room.

  As mentioned, I'm thinking a capture the flag type scenario.  (Get to, take
possesion of, and return to home flag with a target flag.)  I'm working on the
premise that you have to have the objective flag and your own flag in your base
area to win.  We can also add a hold-the-flag rule.  You have to take the flag
and successfully hold it at base area for 3 turns.  Or perhaps we can add this
as a time-based rule.  If you get the flag home before
start-cleanup-time-minus-1-hour you have to hold it.  If we are after the
cutoff, no holding requirement.  This basically prevents a quick victory from
cutting the session short.  That would be boring.  Even if I was the winner.

  I can think of a few ways to handle >2 armies.
   1. 2 teams.  Basically classic capture the flag.
   2. Neutral flags.  1 or more flags placed in neutral (unguarded) locations.
This becomes a little more race oriented than a typical
defend-my-flag-capture-yours scenario.
   3. Random objective.  Each player is assigned a number.  Then each player
rolls to determine whose flag he needs to capture in order to win.
   4. Combine 2+3.  Neutral flags.  Random target assignment from the neutral
set.
   5. Capture all of the flags.  Should be obvious.

  I think #5 is likely to take too long or end in a draw.  Personally, I vote
for either #1 or #4.  Other suggestions?

  If this ramble makes sense, and people like these rules, I'll write them up.

  BTW, I don't have a digital camera, so I won't really be able to post picks
of the scenery before hand.  With this scenario, do people feel it is
imperative?

       Thanks,
        Gino A...

1:  Well, Adrian and I.  I think we each fielded around 1000CP of TL5-6(2) last
time.  No buildings.  And, I've been building since.  I don't think I currently
have any individual combat vehicles under 255CP.

2: However, we confirmed that a TL2-3 force can defend a decent base against
TL5-6 fairly well.  IF, the low-TL force outnumbers the high-TL force(3) and
big guns (3) can't be brought into play.  The TL3 civil warriors didn't last
long against a MkIII(?) laser.  However, Adrian and I managed to wipe out all
of each others big weapons before reaching the TL2 SCAdians.

3: Explosion damage cuts through troops fast.  Arrows do it a lot slower.

4: Range.