 Gaming / 1951
Re: LEGO MMOG?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:46:01 GMT

   BILLUND, DENMARK - March 5, 2007 - The LEGO® Group today announced it has commenced a working relationship with NetDevil® to develop a massively multiplayer online gaming experience to further engage its dedicated and active community.

“As children around the world continue to spend more time online we are developing new and engaging ways for them to interact with our brand,” said Lisbeth Valther Pallesen, Executive Vice President, Community, Education and Direct Division LEGO Group. “The LEGO brand represents construction, creativity and problem solving - values that compliment the MMOG market. By merging the online world of social interaction with physical play, the LEGO brand is providing new experiences for children, as well as fans. NetDevil’s technological capability, openness to work with a large community, and their enthusiasm for the LEGO brand made them a natural partner.”

“Playing with LEGO bricks and developing online worlds are both creative activities. To bring them together is deeply professionally satisfying and we look forward to working with the LEGO team,” said Scott Brown, President of NetDevil.

Looks like this could really be big--might be a good idea to set up another forum just for this.

Eventhough the last game I really played addictively was Munch Man on the Texas Instrument TI??? computer, I can envision all kinds of things that this could evolve into. (I knew that if ever started gaming, it would just suck up my time--if you never pick up a cigarette, you cannot get hooked).

Will we be able to stroll down the equvalent of Diagon Alley and buy all sorts of things.Go to Leonards shop and get our space craft customized, Every master builder will have his “wares for sale”. Go to school to learn from Professor Hassenplug or Professor Davis or Professor Schilling or Prof...about NXT stuff. And of course you have to earn credits to pay Mr, Hoffman, so how do you earn them--learning something about the history of space flight or something? Maybe you have to build and understand a simple engine in order to acquire one. Really could be a neat educational medium. And of course when you get your design just right, you then go to the LEGO factory and have the real thing sent to you.

Will it get to the point when you buy a real kit that you get some kind of chit so that you can then have access to that in the virtual world.

I cannot see LEGO going to far into shootem, killem, crashem, --but they might as that seems to be what gamers like--at least the ones I know.

Have licensing requirements so that before you can drive a Ferarri, you have to pass a course using lesser vehicles.

Begin as a Midshipman in Royal Navy and go and battle the pirates. Or begin as a cabin boy and become a pirate captain.

Or be become an architect or engineer in a town and earn points for good designs.

I could even see me getting into building with LEGO if I could build a virtual water and sewer plant.lol One thing that always has amazed me about LEGO towns is that there are no water plants or sewer plants. Civilization simply cannot exist without them in the real world.

I am of course probably completely off base as am a pretty simple old man, but if LEGO could pull something off that was not only fun, but fostered creativity at the same time and forced a bit of knowledge into young minds, it really could be a good thing.

If you do not know exactly how to build a car, for example, then you go to a mechanic.And since this real world seems to revolve around experts, who are going to be the experts of this virtual world--the AFOL of course.

All I want is a little engraving sign shop in an upscale part of town and a little apartment over top of a nice cafe that serves good coffee and knows how to cook my eggs correctly. . .

Tommy Armstrong