 Gaming / 1506
1505  |  1507
Subject:
New LEGO-themed PC game (not official)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 02:04:41 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

This is my first post to the LUGNET newsgroups after having joined LUGNET this month. It’s actually one of the reasons I joined in the first place -- to get comments, suggestions, and even volunteers about this game from LUGNET members. So, here it is (allow me to quote from my project’s home page):

“LEGOLAND will be a modification to the upcoming Half-Life 2, using LEGO bricks and elements as the world and LEGO minifigures as the playable characters. This mod was inspired by the pretty crappy Counter-Strike “Legoland” level I saw my brother playing, and I thought to myself that I could do much better. Then E3 2003 came along, Half-Life 2 was announced, and I decided to make a completely new mod instead of a simple level for CS.”

I go on to describe some of my ideas. I’d rather you just visit the website (link at bottom) and read what’s there instead of my posting all the info here, since it will take too much space, and it would mean being redundant, since the info’s already out there on the internet.

Is this game BrikWars on the PC? No. But it shares some of its concepts. Credit will be given whenever I take ideas from something like that, such as Tek levels. So what is this game? A mixture of the stuff I love in all sorts of games, combining elements of real-time and turn-based strategy games, tabletop wargames, role-playing games, first-person shooters, and more. And obviously, there’s the fun of being able to play as a LEGO minifigure in a LEGO world. Because of this, I’m having difficulty deciding exactly how to classify this game, or how its actual gameplay will turn out. But I’m hoping that the input of LUGNET members will help me solidify things.

I definitely need to change the name of the mod, as it is no doubt a trademark violation. BrikWars would have been a good name, but it’s already taken, and I don’t want it to be too much like BrikWars anyway. Suggestions are most welcome.

LEGOLAND website: http://www.students.uwosh.edu/~bradfj23/legoland/