 Gaming / 1337
Re: Ultimate LEGO Vehicle contest 2002 photos & write-up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:33:02 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Shaun Sullivan writes:
Once again, the penultimate LEGO event raises its head and lets out a mighty
bellow!  Great job Brendan et. al.

RRRROOOAAAAARRRRR!  Thanks.  @8^)

And to have had the esteemed Mick Royhook on premises ...
ahhh, nothing says "euphoria through chaos" like putting that
man in a room.  Any room.

We had to bring in extra security for the event, but I feel it was worth it.

On of these years I'm going to have to arrange to be wandering in the
neighborhood on the day of the competition.  And I'll have to accidently
arrange an accident with one of the competitors, accidentally.  At which point
there will be no recourse but to run onto the street looking for a last-minute
contestant, and lo! there I'll be.  It will all go perfectly to plan ...

Great job!  I can't wait to see next years' entries.  By the way, is there a
forum for submitting vehicle concepts to the group?  :P

Why not right here?

Here's a few concept cars that were made during the ULV2002 building period,
but not enetered in the competition:

Jonathan was playing around more with the vehicle-itself-is-one-giant-wheel
concept.  We were wondering how hard it would be to make a vehicle where the
whole thing rolled, but the driver stayed upright as it moved.  Here was his
quick solution:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/revbps/ULV-contests/2002/concept-cars/torque.jpg

My other idea for this year's competition was to create an "invisible car"
out of only transparent white materials.  This is the closest I could come:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/revbps/ULV-contests/2002/concept-cars/the_invisible_car.jpg

And this highly disturbing creation was wrought by Mr. Royhook himself:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/revbps/ULV-contests/2002/concept-cars/flying_jarjar_mobile.jpg

I'd be interested in seeing other novel ideas people have for vehicles!

-Rev. Smith