 Games / LEGO Media / LEGO Rock Raiders / * (-5)
Re: anybody still playing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.games.lego.rockraiders
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 21:18:02 GMT

In lugnet.games.lego.rockraiders, Thomas Wölk writes:
<snip>
I like the game and the rock raiders minifigs, units and story, it's a • shame
the levels are so trivial. Is this also your motivation for a level editor
request?

Damien
</snip>

err yes . . . sort of . .
I must admit I really like the game and do fear here's a wonderful chance
Lego is dropping light heartedly. I love the design and colour schemes. It's
sort of a building and science fiction theme that I think has great
potential of extension. A level editor would be lovely to emphasise
environments that one likes and give better opportunities for gear or
vehicles that one prefers. Also the benefit would be, providing one was able
to swap maps, that fans would communicate and the game would become more
interesting for a longer time to little expense of TLC. The only reason I
can think of that TLC is afraid of doing this, would be that it would be
possible to create more militant worlds or put more stress on the fighting
issues and TLC could hardly control fan made maps as their problems with the
film making sets have shown. (I emphasise "their" problems as I thought they
quite overdid it on the expense of the fun) Of course the possibility to add
own constructions as in the creator or racing software would be great.
Oh dear , I guess this wish list could go on for ever . .
As for playing the existing game. I didn't think all the levels too easy. I
did take me some time to win the one with the hungry snails. I'm no great
computer player though so I might lack expierience on winning strategies.
Also when I like an aspect in a level I tend to stray of and forget the
mission. I have two nephews who are interested in everything Lego does and
they think RR quite exciting and difficult. They learned a lot on having to
build up a station beginning with the basics and they grasped the importance
of oxygen, though the game is inconsequent on this. You are right that one
doesn't really need the bigger buildings or vehicles to win but if you play
the levels so that you don't win to fast It's great fun using them. The last
level is fun with the vehicles if you finally clear the whole cave and the
level with the islands in the lava lake is best if you built a lava glider
fast and enjoy the lake even if you can't win the level this way. I guess it
was the lava lake and some water missions where I thought it would be fun on
building a level with more of this.
Ok at the moment space themes are blocked by the StarWars sets but after
that I think RR could easily be combined with other exploration themes such
as Life on Mars, the Arctic sets or even the desert and jungle adventure
sets, hmm some submarine adventure could also be interesting. What I really
miss with the Lego Software is the System thought though. At the moment
every CD-ROM seams to be absolutely in its own world. I would expect some
sort of pieces add-on for the creator games for example that makes it
possible to build the sets and own creations using the RR or Racer or Alpha
Team specific pieces in the creator format. A small separate viewer for the
models would be great. Now a browser plugin would really rule, maybe using a
central pieces library on a TLC server. Ok expecting a file converter for
popular formats on the net might be expecting to much from Lego. I've got to
stop this . . . you've made me dreaming and set my imagination running. So
many opportunities and Lego doesn't only not use them but sometimes stops
others from trying. All legal problems and the need to protect children from
sinister toys? Sometimes I really wonder what the company is up to . . .
probably they don't really know themselves.

Btw I made some maps of some of the levels with my nephews, any interest on
this and other stuff we started and never finished.

Play well
Thomas

Hello Thomas,

Trust me, I am a fan of "Dune 2000" strategy game and it is several orders
of magnitude more challenging than Rock raiders.

It's a shame that what is fun is just waste or losing strategy. Laser is
fun. Heavy vehicules are fun. But they cost more than what is to gain. That
should be the reverse. Levels should have been designed so that Laser and
Heavy vehicules allow more resource discovery than their resource cost. That
is simple: more crystals behind hard rocks and across river. More emphasis
would also be put on scanner and geological capability rather than
blind-mining. I agree that would have made levels somewhat harder, but
solution is also simple: different crystal quotas depending player skill. As
a consolation, playing "crazy cold" level, facing monsters and collecting
150 crystals using "granit grinder" is pretty fun. I wish a cooperative
multiplayer mode had been included, on random maps with more nasties. The
fun would be double because helping each-other is the true mission of rock
raiders.

I would be pleasantly surprised if a level editor appears. Because Rock
raiders sets are discontinued. In early 1980s, new year meant 5 new space
bricks. In early 2000s new year means 5 new themes. So I fear Rock Raiders
will not return.

Let's go for rock raiders stuff.
I will probably do some Rock Raiders MOCs when more LDraw parts will be
available.

http://brickcaster.multimania.com/misc/rock_raiders

Damien

Re: anybody still playing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.games.lego.rockraiders
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 11:53:32 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.games.lego.rockraiders
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 23:15:44 GMT

In lugnet.games.lego.rockraiders, Thomas Wölk writes:
does somebody know of a leveleditor or anything else for the game?

I just bought it. It is fun as a whole. Great graphics especially when
played in 1rst person. However I wonder what is the public targeted by the
game. The game is surely not for kids because of bad responsivity. Also the
game is not for adults because mission are way too easy. Levels design makes
poor usage of advanced vehicles and advanced building. Most missions can be
completed using only two basic light vehicles. Using specific features and
combined actions is rarely required, even in last levels. When giving laser
gun to all minifigs, action is not a difficulty either. I finished the game
in one week. Apart poorly responsive minifig control nothing really stopped
me. No strategy or planning is needed to complete a level.

I like the game and the rock raiders minifigs, units and story, it's a shame
the levels are so trivial. Is this also your motivation for a level editor
request?

Damien

Subject:
anybody still playing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.games.lego.rockraiders
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 05:32:56 GMT

does somebody know of a leveleditor or anything else for the game?

Re: Just bought Rock Raiders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.games.lego.rockraiders
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 17:42:14 GMT

In lugnet.games.lego.rockraiders, Markus Wolf writes:
Look Nick!  You're not the only one posting here!

I just bought the Rock Raiders game at Kaybee for $9.99.  It came with a
little Adventurer set and I figured it probably wouldn't drop any further.
In fact, since the beginning I've gotten Lego Racers, Lego Island and Lego
Creator all for ten bucks a shot.  Man am I a cheapskate!!!  :O)

I haven't played it too much yet, but it looks like fun though perhaps more
lengthy on some of the missions.

Markus

If you don't know this already, you can go into 1st person mode and the
detail gets better.

NICK

I still post here the most.

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact