 Games / 304
303  |  305
Subject:
LEGO® Signs 3-Year Deal With Unity Technologies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.games
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 2010 10:27:11 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

LEGO® Signs 3-Year Deal With Unity Technologies

Unity Technologies announced today that it had signed a three-year deal with the LEGO Group, according to which the plastic brick company will standardize on Unity-authored materials for 3D content on LEGO.com.

Unity has has been used for a variety of full-fledged virtual worlds and MMOs, including Cartoon Network’s FusionFall and the upcoming Marvel MMO, but the press release makes no mention of the upcoming LEGO Universe. LEGO Universe will be sold via download or on disc at retail, though FusionFall(1) did the same.

It sounds like Unity might have more to do with the casual games on LEGO.com than the Universe--it’s already the platform for two LEGO games--but the browser-based Unity client could offer a lightweight window to the massive world.

“We’ve invested a great deal of time evaluating technology for the next phase of www.LEGO.com,” said Claus Toftegaard Matthiesen, Technology Manager of the LEGO Group. “We believe that Unity’s flexibility, strength and power will give us scope to create world leading content for our consumers and are looking forward to the cooperation.”

Virtual World News

Unity Technologies

(1) Fusion Fall is part of Cartoon Network.

-end of report-