 Games / 302
301  |  303
Subject:
LEGO Pirate "Battleship"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.games, lugnet.general, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 2009 14:31:14 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I had been working on a project for MegaCon... I’ve had the idea to do a table-sized version of “Battleship”. I wanted it to be sort of microscale, but at the same time, I wanted a player’s board to be half a table. As I was building the boards, I included islands and with the redish-brown border, it started to look like a treasure map. During one of our planning meetings for MegaCon, Simon suggested doing a pirate themed version of Battleship.

Since a 1x4 (squares) ship would look too big, I decided to do 2 2x2 (squares) fortresses and the largest should would be around a 1x3 (squares). There were also 2 1x1 (squares) boats... to be honest, the game could have used another 1x3 (squares) ship, but I was crunched for time.

The 2x2 round bricks indicated hits or misses by your opponent (on the main board), the 1x1 bricks and 1/4 baseplate was used to track your shots... next time I think I’d build the 1/4 baseplate into the main board & not have it as a separate score sheet.

For the most part, the game was functional, but took a little longer to find those last 2 1x2 boats. Had to use the Medieval Market Village box as a screen between the two sides (didn’t have time to build one out of LEGO). And many of the kids who sat down to play didn’t understand the rules, or didn’t have the attention-span to play. But for the most part, people liked the idea and it was fun to play despite all the craziness going on all around us.

Enjoy,
--Mike.