 Fun / Gaming / 1304
Re: My continued idea...dunno how this will fly.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:54:16 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Alex Polimeni writes:
I guess since im coming up with this thing i would be a mediator or as i call
it, campaign master.

If it's all your idea, why not?  For SS, we agreed that my position as GM
would be an elected one from amongst the other participants.  This way
everyone is involved in the process.  But there are different ways to run
these things.  Do you want a communal feel, or do you prefer centralizing
the administration with one person controlling all.  We chose the communal
direction in SS so that if a GM falls off the face of the internet, someone
else can jump in and take his place.  The game shouldn't end over one person.

I wasnt thinking of meshing peoples worlds, like in IOM, i was just refering to
the IOM as something that intruiged me and should be an inspiration to castle.
If people think this is a good idea, then sure, lets talk about it.

I do think it is a good idea.  In my previous post, I was only pointing out
things to keep in mind when presenting a Castle RPG idea to this community.
If you solve those considerations, you will have one kick-butt game.

My idea was that this could just be an off time thing. Something that is fun
and easy. Also, i was hoping to include the MM in it.

I absolutely LOVE the idea of linking the game to MM!  For one thing, this
will encourage more building of MMs.  Presumably, the Player Characters will
not be able to equip themselves with items that cannot be found in the
game-world.  So, if they need a bunch of torches, then there better be a
TorchMaker's Stall in the MM.  The more MMs that get built, the more variety
will be possible in the game.

Also, this would probably
be closer to sword swinging humans than the world i am creating. (muuuuch
closer to the Lord of the Rings type world) With some mythicle beasts,
probably. they had stories etc of sea monsters and stuff.
I am trying to work out the "hows" of a campaign game. Any ideas etc would be
very welcomed!

I'm still recovering from a marathon of web design for SS.  But when I find
time, I will see what I can offer for ideas.

I would be a good C.M. (Campaign Master) because, even though i do have alot of
stuff to do in real life, i do have a decent amount of time on my hands.
I am not trying to make this a combat game. Sure, it would have combat in it,
but not revolving around it. i think a Campaign would revolve more around
surviveing than battling theives or whatever.
Again, im trying to make this an exiting, fun, easy game that could have group
of people.
I am also trying to work in the element of Building.

*Boing*  Darn those lights over my head!!

Hey, what about this.  Just an idea to consider brainstorming with:

What if each player starts the game with only a handful of characters.  They
have all traveled some distance to reach the MM.  And the MM is basically
part of a small NPC community that is just getting established.  For
whatever reason (a dark age, an emigration from a far off contintent,
whatever), the entire land (continent) is fairly undeveloped except for the
MM and the Player Characters.

If we accept this scenario, then each Player would have the option to gather
supplies at the MM and then march off into the wilderness.  Once there, they
can claim areas on the map.  Maybe create a continent map with twenty or
forty territories that, although various in shape, are roughly the same area
each.  Some territories might be set aside for NPC use only, and maybe some
of these have kingdoms (good or bad) already, or monsters, or whatever.  But
within those realms that are claimed by the PC's, there will be plenty of
inspiration for building in brick.  Each player could choose to build
castles or villages or whatever makes sense for their characters.

Then, outside of that, the NPC areas can offer adventures while the PC areas
offer trade and in-character politics, or whatnot.

If you get more players than expected, then expand to nearby landmasses and
add territories.

And keep the original MM as a central easy-to-get to NPC place of refuge.

Again, these are all just ideas.  But when my mind goes, it goes.

I was thinking that one or two of the players in the Campaign could chronicle
the mission or whatever. this would leave out the other players, though....
Also, the purpose of this game is that it would be a longer one than most
games. a regular game, you play it for an hour, and you win or lose.
Not my idea. Campaigns would last a few weeks, or a month. perhaps more,
depending on the buysiness of the players in real life, etc.
I dont know how this would work out with people, though.
I just hope we can get something going!

The adventures with Sector 62 and Spraw actually took quite a bit of time.
Spraw started last summer and is still going on six months later.  Some of
this is because you have to allow time for communications through the medium
of e-mail and internet.  This makes for a long term game, but it also means
that no single person needs to spend too much time on it.  If you have a
whole week between e-mails, then the moderator can deal with life, cater to
other hobbies, and then just devote maybe a half-hour per week to update things.

The tough part is the beginning, getting the game established.  If you get
past that hurdle and you still have interested participants, you are doing well.

AGAIN: any ideas or comments are welcome!

I will keep thinking.  Hope to see more.

Cheers,
-Hendo