 Fun / Gaming / 1134
Re: Brikwars proposal .. WWII / modern tank battle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 14:30:36 GMT

Jason,
I think we should ask around with WAMALUG since I know that many of them
have LOTS of baseplates. Jeff Stemble comes to mind. His baseplate
collection excels my entire LEGO brick collection in cubic inches.

I will only be able to be at Brickfest for Saturday, but if the game happens
that day, I could probably submit a building or two. Would you want playable
interiors? Or just exterior shells? I couldn't play the entire game (have to
see everything else at brickfest too) but would definately stop in and could
help briefly with picture taking or answer rules questions so that players
don't have to play coach as well. (Isn't it weird that last year this time,
I was the one ASKING rule questions...?)

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Jason Rowoldt writes:
Hello all,

I'd like to propose a theme for a BrikWars battle at Brickfest this year.
If there is enough interest (say, 3 players that are coming and willing to
build stuff), I'd love to play a scenario that centers around a modern tank
/ infantry battle.

What I have always wanted to play in a Brikwars scenario is a WWII tank
battle in a small village.  Since not everyone is as good as Shaun Sullivan
at building WWII vehicles, we could expand this a bit to vehicles that look
_vaguely_ like WWII tanks, APCs, armored cars, halftracks, AT guns, etc.
Basically, Tech Level 4 stuff.

What we need for this type of scenario is tons and tons of buildings,
rubble, streets, trees, etc.  I have a limited number of these kinds of
things (especially road plates .. I have almost none) ... but if someone is
willing to lend us some we could get a fantastic village going.  One side
could be the attackers with lots of tanks and infantry in APCs, and another
side could be dug into the village with MG42s (or Vickers, or .50 cal)
emplacements, bunkers, hidden AT guns, etc.  We could do this battle fairly
quickly if we stuck to almost all vehicles and had all troops transported by
APC or halftrack.

Another nice thing about this kind of scenario is that it would photograph
well.  At Brickfest we usually just throw together piles of rubble from the
K-8 so most of the scenery in photographs is grey table wasteland.  If we
got some cool scenery going to would be a nice draw for crowds and I could
even animate the battle a bit (my other hobby is animating for those of you
that do not know me).

So, I am looking for a few things, if you are interested:

1. Would anyone be willing to try out a WWII era scenario?  On a large
tabletops with lots of scenery?  Would you be willing to build some quick
and dirty WWII like units?  Provide some houses, churches, and various other
Western front like scenery?

2. Would anyone be willing to donate some village scenery / road plates,
etc.?  I can build some but have limited road baseplates and other niceties.

Let me know, and thanks for reading...

Jason