 FAQ / 1237
1236  |  1238
Subject:
Crossposting FAQ, why, when and how to crosspost
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 14:02:32 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

We have had a spate of multiple posts lately. Not everyone knows how to
crosspost or what it is or why it's good. I could not find a FAQ entry on
this, but I feel one is needed. Please feel free to reply with elaboration
or correction:

What is Crossposting?

Crossposting is the practice of putting one post into the system, targeted
at multiple groups. The system ends up with one copy of the post and any
followup replies to it, no matter what group or group posted to, are kepw
with that post, so that there is only one thread tree

What is multiple posting?

Multiple posting is the practice of putting the same content into the
system, as multiple posts, each targeted at one group.  (perhaps by using
cut and paste with the post body) The system ends up with multiple copies of
the post text and replies to the various posts end up scattered among many
thread trees.

Why is Crossposting good and multiple posting bad?

The answer should be obvious from above... cross posting is less intensive
from a system load perspective, as only one copy of the text and one posting
transaction are needed, and crossposting keeps threads together. This, if
anything, is actually more important. Scattered threads are very hard to
follow and mean that people later on will have a hard time finding out any
good info when searching.

It also is actually less work for the poster since they don't have to wear
out the cntl-c and cntl-v keys on their keyboard.

What is setting followups?

When widely crossposting, one should consider a single group that followups
could go into, and set the followup to that group only. That is, replies by
default (with no followups set) go to all the groups that the post
originally went to... that's usually not a good idea. Pick one group that
seems to make sense for the topic to get discussed further, and set
followups to it.

Sometimes you may not pick the best group, or the discussion may veer off
topic for that group and move to another group. That's not the end of the
world... don't take it personally if the FUT you choose gets changed later.
The point is, you tried to set a good FUT and that's all that matters.

You said FUT. What are FUT and XFUT?

People will say "FUT lugnet.xy.z" in their post. This is a reminder to the
reader that they have set followups. Similarly, "XFUT lugnet.xy.z" is
shorthand for "crossposted but followups are set to the group lugnet.xy.z"
So FUT has become shorthand for "followup to". Not much of a savings but
we're all geeky enough to enjoy making up abbreviations for their own sake
(why that is is the topic of a separate faq in itself!!! but note there is a
guide to abbreviations here: http://www.lugnet.com/~88/acronym_faq/).

How many groups can I crosspost to?

Theoretically, all of them. But that's not usually a good idea. In fact, in
most cases, posting to more than 2 to 5 groups ought to be carefully
considered. (read that as: Don't!!!) The more groups you post to, the higher
the chances that some readers will consider it off topic for the group(s)
they read it in, and the higher the chances that you may be accused of spamming.

Those sorts of things often result in scuffles and acrimonious discussions
as charges and countercharges get levied, obscuring the original post.

WIDELY crossposting (to more than say 5 groups) ought to be reserved for
truly momentous pieces of news, at least in this readers view. Momentous
means to the *entire* community, not just you, and maybe you should ask
someone about it offline first to see if they agree it's momentous. (IMHO
anyway)

OK, OK, you convinced me. How do I crosspost?

The answer is "it depends". <i could use some help here>, because there are
three main ways to post.

If you're using the web interface, just add the newsgroups you want in the
"Newsgroups" box, separated by commas. You need to fully spell them out
including the lugnet prefix.

If you are using a newsreader interface, it varies by the particular
newsreader you are using, consult your documentation, but most readers give
a way to select what groups you post to, perhaps via drop down or whatever.

If you are using the mail interface, <I think> you address your mail to
multiple groups.

Yes, yes, setting good FUT is important. How do I set followups?

he answer is "it depends". <i could use some help here>,  because there are
three main ways to post.

If you're using the web interface, put the group (or groups, separated by
commas) into the "request followups to" box. If you leave this blank,
followups will go to all groups listed in the Newsgroups box by default.

If you're using a newsreader interface, it varies by the particular
newsreader you are using, consult your documentation, but most readers give
a way to select what group(s) the Followup should go to, perhaps via drop
down or whatever.

If you are using the mail interface <I think> you set the replyto field to
the appropriate group. Something like <help!!> lugnet.xy.z@lugnet.com <which
shows how much I use this interface!!!>

WHY should I crosspost instead of multiple post?  WHY shoudn't I crosspost
my latest MOC to every group under the sun? Who cares?

If you are respectful of LUGNET resources and respectful of reader's time,
it is more likely that your post will be viewed favorably (meaning people
will answer your question or go to your store or give you good feedback on
your MOC or whatever). Besides, it is in the terms of service that you will
not excessively multiple post or crosspost. So you agreed not to when you
joined.

I just opened a store on BrickLink! I should crosspost to all the possible
theme groups to let people know, right?

NO! This is considered bad form. Market/sales stuff should stay in the
market hierarchy, and in particular, in buy-sell-trade or brickshops (and
not in theory or shipping which are theoretical discussions) Doing this is a
sure way to get a number of LUGNET regulars a bit annoyed with you and less
likely to buy from you. Since a number of LUGNET regulars are pretty heavy
buyers, that's a bad idea.