 Events / NWBrickCon / 329
328  |  330
Subject:
NWBrickCon 2005 Recollections
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:55:13 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I had a great time at NWBrickCon and heard lots of positive comments about
micro.  I hope many of you will follow through and give micro a try.  A big
thanks to Justin Major for being a kind and humble micro-host, and to Todd and
others who helped in the kid-build area, as many new micro-fans look like they
are on the way.

To all you Canadians...outstanding job!  We haven't specifically touted
NWBrickCon as an international event, but you guys sure make it so.  Your
contributions and creative work came through loud and clear!

The moonbase and crevasse was very cool, and it was neat to see the giant
moonbase standard (?) evolving within the crevasse.

Castle made a serious comeback this year thanks to Robin's award winning
Drachenschlaf and Thomas's perpetual upgrades to his large diorama.  I really
liked the giant ogre guy taunting the guys in the castle and got a few good
pictures that really capture the scene.

Trains were cool and I don't believe I have ever seen as many people in a city
as were on that layout.  The REI model, the museum and the three to four city
blocks were great.  I liked U2 singing, the FBI training grounds, and the use of
engraved bricks to enhance rolling stock.  The turntable was very impressive as
well, although I never saw it actually turn.

This was clearly the year of Mecha-bases and workbays.  Both of the bases looked
great, as did the variety of articulated Mecha inbetween.  Not surprising, my
favorite mecha were the micro-mechs that appeared on the awards! As usual, Mark
Neumann, Fradel and others created stuff that I can barely comprehend because
it's so incredibly built and hinged.

I was excited to see the serious emergence of Wild West and Steampunk at this year's con.  If I'm not mistaken, this was the largest, dedicated wild west and steam punk area of any con to date.   I hope both will begin to be a fixture at future cons.Also...a shout out congratulations to John Langrish for his wild-card win for his Pirate Seawall and Shipswheel tavern.  For those of you who did not get up close, this was one of the most impressive, non-train SNOT creations I've ever seen.  Even the floors of the tavern were smooth.  He promises to post pictures, soon.

Art and Sculpture were big hits, and the variety of items was very interesting.
Congrats to Todd, Terri and Joseph on their wins.  I forgot if there were more
winners here, but I liked everything in this area, and wish I could build
something large like Paul's, "friends" scale train guy and bear.

The beauty of the cable-stayed bridge was excellent as was the large size of the
Technic crane.  The geiger counter item was extremely cool, too.

In summary, I found our uni-room approach to be fun and rewarding as everyone
co-mingled, invaded each others MOCS and appeared to have a great time.  I know
I did!

Thanks to Wayne and all the organizers for making NWBrickCon 2005 a success!
I intend to post pics as soon as possible.

Ashley