 Events / BricksWest / 387
386  |  388
Subject:
BricksWest™ 2003 : The Beginning : Part 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 21:39:49 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Greetings!

It's time to begin planning the fun and excitement that will be BricksWest 2003!

I would like to take the following approach to planning: unhindered public
discussion here on the public group, followed by active planning on our
private list, leading to a public announcement as events are solidified.

There are several points related to this that I will state here:

1) I am in the process of creating a limited liability corporation to run
the event under, shielding myself (and any one else) from liability for any
aspect of the event. BricksWest will now be a presentation, and trademark,
of the LLC.

I will be using the LLC as an umbrella for several other ventures as well.

As a business entity, certain aspects of the business (especially financal)
will be kept strictly private.

2) Even under the guise of the LLC, the goal for BricksWest will be to break
even. During the last event, this was for my tax liability. Under the new
LLC, it will be an attempt to avoid any bad feelings in the community, as I
don't think anyone should profit from an event created, staffed and run by
volunteers. If there is any budget surplus, however, rest assured that it
will be held and used for future BricksWest events.

3) We will begin the core organizers mailing list from scratch, so I will
need each person volunteering to help staff, plan or present at BricksWest
to contact me at admin@brickswest.com.

A change from last year will be the addition of a Organizer Committment
Agreement, which I would like each core organizer to read and agree to
before they will be added to the mail list. I will e-mail this agreement to
you upon initial contact. There is no penalty other than exclusion from the
private list for breaking the agreement...it's main purpose will be to
instill a sense of responsibility for the event, something that is sorely
needed when facing an event of this size and caliber.

It is my desire to have volunteers at the core level handle some of the more
time consuming chores for the event, so I don't feel so overwhelmed. Someone
to process registrations would be especially welcome.

Anyone is welcome to be an organizer for BricksWest, but I do ask that you
be honest in your desire to help and attend the event. Though this is a
community event, and I would like to secure as much assistance as possible,
the old adage of too many cooks spoiling the soup still applies.

I have a low tolerance for hangers-on and wags, as some folks know. So
bottom line: If you are attending and can afford the time to help, welcome
and thank you; if you're attending but can't help plan, we'll happily see
you there; if you're not able to attend, we'll miss you and your
contribution to planning, discussing and running the event...maybe you can
make it in 2004.

Matt