 Events / BrickFest / 4055
Re: Shipping LEGO to Brickfest (and other places)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2008 23:46:26 GMT

Thanks Ted for looking into this! SteveB BrickFest ‘09 - See you all there!

In lugnet.announce, Ted Michon wrote:
   All-

Having taken MOCs as large as whole LTC layouts from LA to BrickFests in DC and LA to PDX, I have some experience in the matter. I made a recent discovery that may interest some of you. Turns out that to ship 255 pounds of LEGO in a $200 collapsible crate (including palette) rated to 1500 pounds from ULINE that weighs 94 pounds (66.2 x 29.2 x 24.4” interior dimensions) from Southern CA (SAN, LGB, LAX, etc.) to PDX costs $328 round trip (including fuel and security surcharges) on Alaska Airlines!

That assumes a packing density of 10 pounds per per cubic foot. If you pack less densely, you pay by “dimensional weight” since aircraft are space rather than weight limited.

Unlike other shipping methods, the dimensions of your shipment are limited only by the size of an aircraft cargo door!

Here’s the ONLY CATCH: You need to be a “Known Shipper”, meaning you have passed a security screening. The process is free and individuals qualify, but it takes 5-7 weeks. So if you want to ship via air freight to BrickFest 2009, you need to apply NOW!

-Ted Michon

SCLTC