 Events / BrickFest / 1893
Re: Brickfest 2003 Question and Answer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:09:02 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.events.brickfest, Allan Bedford wrote:
   Which still doesn’t really answer the question of who’s going to buy it, only by which arm of their distribution network it’s being sold on.

I have to assume that you aren’t fully aware of how many adult SW collectors are totally accustomed to having to use their credit cards online just to keep up with the Hasbro stuff.

Enough to make it worth while creating a set like this... I guess?

   I seriously doubt they’ll have any trouble moving enough units to make it worth doing as a S@H exclusive (as I said previously, I don’t see any completely new pieces involved).

Which is why I wondered if adult builders would want it. Perhaps it’s aimed more directly at pure Star Wars fans than previous sets from this series?

Contrasted with the AT-AT which I bought as a Star Wars fan (who wanted a set like that as a kid) but also as a LEGO builder, since it just looked like such a cool set.

   I also wouldn’t be surprised if we see it show up a year or two down the road as a store chain exclusive, much like TRU had the BIONICLE Masterbuilder and Target had the SW RBR (though why a store chain that trigger-happy with the discount gun ended up with a $200 LEGO set is beyond me...).

Will it show up at retail at full price I wonder?

   The question I still have is, “will adults buy this ‘play set’ for $100?” Or, will they only see it as a parts pack, which they would normally only buy at deep discount?

For the people who got into LEGO solely for SW, it’s something that has been high on the want list for a few years now.

Probably true.

   You have to realize that a lot of these people remember collecting the Kenner Micro Collection as kids, and this is basically a LEGOfied version of it. No, it doesn’t accurately represent the whole of Cloud City, but it includes most of the major sections, it’s somewhat modular (and those of you who complain that it’s not modular enough should take the time to check out the limits of the Micro Collection modularity design), and it includes the Most Wanted SW minifig.

I’ve always wondered why Lando was such a popular character. I always thought Williams brought a cheesy flavor to the movie that even the great story and amazing effects of the movie itself couldn’t cover up. He’s such a C-grade actor in such a classic flick. He’s definitely my least favorite part of one of my all-time favorite movies.

   My other question is whether or not younger kids will ‘get’ a set like this. True, the box is marked for 14+, but you know some younger kids will receive it. But when the context of the play set comes from a movie released 10 - 15 years before they were born, will the story make sense to them. Not to mention that this particular set of scenes are among some of the darker ones from what is arguably one of the darker movies in the series. I saw Empire when I was 12 and I wouldn’t have wanted to see it any sooner!

SW is the biggest motion picture phenomenon of all time (regardless of what John Rhys-Davies thinks).

John’s been on his knees too much lately... I think the air is thin down there. I wouldn’t listen to him. :)

Also, I was there from the beginning, I know the Star Wars drill. I know how big a phenomenon Star Wars is/was. I know how profoundly it affected every movie that came after it; not just sci-fi flicks. I’m a lifelong fan, with a love of the first movie that George Lucas himself cannot match. Actually, if anything, King George is one of the worst Star Wars fans out there. He really has little clue why the movies were ever popular to begin with. He thinks it was because of the special effects, which he feels were never good enough, so he has to go back and tinker with something that was never broken.

   Add to that the fact this movie isn’t even available on DVD, which means some kids who haven’t seen it may still not see it, unless mom or dad has or buys the video. Ironically the movie *might* be on DVD just about the time this set is being discontinued.

There are scores of VHS versions that have been released by now, as well as laserdiscs. No, we probably won’t see a DVD release until after 2005, and yes, this set will probably be gone by then, but I don’t think that’ll affect its popularity too much.

It’ll be interesting to watch and see what happens. Too bad the Twin Pod Cloud Cars aren’t around as a nice supplemental set to sell alongside this new one. Oh well, who am I to say?

Allan B.

** Follow-ups set to .StarWars, as this part of the thread has nothing to do with Brickfest anymore.