 Events / 2627
2626  |  2628
Subject:
Monster Chess pits LEGO bots in game of awesome
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.events, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:57:44 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

From Cnet.com
By Matt Hickey

Monster Chess pits LEGO bots in game of awesome

I hate playing chess. I don’t hate the game; in fact it’s pure strategy, something I love. But despite years of practice, I still almost never win. And now, it would seem, I have further cause to be pessimistic about my chances of a victory, as even robots made out of LEGO are here to beat me.

Observe the video below. That’s a huge, 156-square-foot chess board and pieces made entirely out of LEGO Mindstorm parts--more than 100,000 of them. It’s called Monster Chess, and it’s awesome.

The battery-operated, Bluetooth-controlled pieces use downward-facing sensors to read grids built into the individual squares on the board. They then communicate with the controlling computer to keep track of their location in relation to other pieces. The computer tells each piece which direction to go, and how far, on its turn.

And the knights are animated. Watch the video and tell me that’s not cool.

It took a year for four people on Team Hassenplug, led by Steve Hassenplug, to put Monster Chess together at a cost of around $30,000. It can be played as human vs. computer, computer vs. computer, or human vs. human via the controlling computer. It uses international standardized rules from an enhanced version of the ChessBot software package. And no, sadly, you can’t buy one.

Also sadly, the pieces are a bit pokey, so watching a full match isn’t the most thrilling thing in the world, but still, this proves something I’ve held true for a while: LEGO are for grown-ups as much as they are for kids.

Cnet.com

If you are visiting the Wheeling, IL area, just outside of Chicago. Over the weekend of June 19-20, 2010 at the Westin Hotel. Check the Monster Chess in person. Check the site Brickworld for more information.

On YouTube.com

Video is 5:28 long.

Enjoy!