 Events / 2604
Re: BrickMagic: Motorized LEGO Boat Race
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:37:08 GMT

In lugnet.events, Michael Huffman wrote:
   In lugnet.events, Sam Forker wrote:
   In lugnet.events, Michael Huffman wrote:
   This is a call for participation in a Motorized LEGO Boat Race >

snippage

Mike Huffman
BrickMagic Motorized LEGO Boat Race Coordinator

I have to ask if this is open to all ages ? I noticed that the RC Car Race for Friday night that was just posted on the Brickmagic site is for 16yr and younger only, no AFOLs.

Totally understand the links to previous boat races was a all age mix from the pictures and such, but I thought I just confirm.

** Not posting this to get into a ‘big’ discussion on AFOL conventions and different age groups of attendees, etc.... just simply seeing for this specific boat event. **

Thanks

Sam Forker

We’d like for contestants to be AFOLs, simply because of potential water damage to electromechanical items; but we’d consider making exceptions.

‘Simple heats’ (not ‘heaps’) are geared more towards younger contestants -- a boat haul & a few water proof, LEGO made boat motors make a great entry. But that’s not to exclude adults from competing in simple heats.

The ‘advance heat’ is more geared towards the adult audience and understands/accepts the risk involved in loosing a motor, controller, or programmable brick.

As long as someone can show me that the boat has survived a ‘sink test’, has taken care to protect their LEGO electromechanical items & (the parent & child or teen) understand/accepts the risks, they can compete.

...I hope this isn’t opening a can of worms, but rule of thumb is to have fun, not to exclude anyone if they can act maturely & understands the risks...

The boat race competition will take place during public hours, and the competition is ONLY open to attendees/exhibitors contestants, not the general public.

--Mike.

“have fun, not to exclude anyone”, that’s a great answer all by itself. Yes, I’m trying to keep my question very specific to keep that ‘can of worms’ closed. Since the RC Car race looks to be open to the public, but is happening Friday night, I had to ask.

You are saying the boat race will be during the public expo hours, kind of like the sumo matches, a hour or so during the public hours. I know people like to ‘watch’ their MOCs during public hours, so it’s good info to know that the boat race will be during those hours.

Thanks for the answer.

Sam