 Events / 1390
1389  |  1391
Subject:
Planning brick activities at Philcon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.gaming, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.md
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 22:01:40 GMT

Philcon, the annual Philadelphia Area Science Fiction Conference, is the world’s oldest SF convention. It initiated a children’s program six years ago, of which I assumed control in 2003; I took the opportunity to sneak LEGO bricks into the con. Kids Prog serves attendees ages 6 to 12, and they not only enjoyed having my collection to play with, but also took to QuikWars.

I’ve been planning additional PBB-themed events and contests for the kids, but I’m also trying to expand them to other populations -- gaming, the art show, and a random Freestyle event are the most obvious options. (A slideshow of Giant Starship Replicas could be impressive, too.) I’ve already got support from Eric Sophie and Lenny Hoffman (GardenSLUG and SciBrick), and may be able to sneak Shane Sullivan, astrophysicist and tiny-NASA-probe-recreator, onto the science program. I’m not sure how much space I can obtain; but if the Pirate Game won’t fit, we’ll just have to do tabletop micro-gaming. :)

Philcon is always looking for programmed and volunteer staff -- and for Kids Prog the primary qualification is a pair of eyes. It’s a fun con even without PBBs underfoot; but help enough, and you may qualify for a discount. Please contact me if you’re interested; I’ll make the introductions. And if you’d prefer not to help, then please still consider attending.

(Like most of the regional cons, Philcon draws its membership from far beyond the Philadelphia metro area; hence my crossposts to PA, NJ and MD.)