 Education / 278
277  |  279
Subject:
Math display case filled with Lego models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu, lugnet.announce
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2007 15:16:01 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Last spring, my colleagues got funding for two shiny display cabinets for my math department. Appropriate displays were just slow enough in coming that I could (quickly) haul out several of my Lego math demonstration models and fill an entire case with them:

Home Plate

This familiar-looking shape does not actually exist. Look at the triangle on the bottom. (Use the dashed black line as its long side.) The side lengths of 12, 12, and 17 do not obey the Pythagorean Theorem—check 12^2+12^2 and 17^2. However, it’s very, very nearly a right triangle, so we let it slide.

Turned Squares

Here are two squares. Look at the larger one. If you include the white dotted lines, you can see that the larger square is made up of four right triangles whose sides are very, very close to 12-12-17. These numbers were obtained using a continued fraction.

The smaller square is made up of four 6-8-10 right triangles and one 2 by 2 square. The yellow and blue triangles are illustrated with dotted lines. Of the five polygons in the display, this is the only one whose linear measurements are all integers.

Equilateral Triangles

Here are two equilateral triangles. The triangle with sides of length 9 does not work well in Lego. Its altitude is about 7.794—not an integer value—so its top vertex (where yellow and red meet) is not near a grid point, so it cannot connect to the gray baseplate.

The triangle with sides of length 15 does work well. Its altitude is about 12.99—very close to 13—so its top vertex (where blue and yellow meet) connects solidly to the gray baseplate.

Blue Wave

This wavy object is generated by the function z=5cos(x^2+y^2)+6. In Calculus II, we learn how to find the size of one slice; in Calculus III we learn how to slice up the entire object and find its volume.

Attention: Dr. Masi, Dr. Masi to the fourth floor.