 Education / 271
Re: Advanced Mindstorms Robotics Summer Camp
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:37:50 GMT

In lugnet.edu, Dan Bee wrote:

This is a follow on camp to one the participants were involved
in as 7th graders.

   So they have *some* background, and you can just jump in? I'm wondering how
basic a start you need.

missions must be performed sequentially and one robot will
trigger the next sequence etc. until all are completed.

   Well, a *really* simple way of doing this is to have four robots sitting at
the corners of a rectangular enclosure. Start one, and it has to do until it
hits a second. At that point the first one stops, and the second one has to
start moving and continue around the rectangle until it bumpbs the next, etc.
This ends up requiring wall following (or line following; there are obviously a
lot of variations), and well-designed bumpers (because everybody's robot is
going to be different, you have to make sure you can sense an impact from a
variety of directions from a variety of different shapes). This could be
expanded to more robots, different shaped tracks, and the ability to "reset" the
robot (after it moves and 'tags' the next robot, it has to get ready to sense a
'tag' from behind... the net result being a continuous cycle of robots around
the course).
   Another think to look at if you are trying to work with cooperative tasks is
how FIRST robotics events (*not* FLL, but the older kids) are run. These are
usually teams of two robots, built by different groups. So they're are a lot of
different strategies, and picking your partner team becomes important as well
(strategies that complement each other).

We are planning to buy the Mario Ferrari "Building Robots
with LEGO Mindstorms" book for each camper as well as
each of them will go home with an RCX kit.

   One of the better books out there, in my opinion. Lots of tidbits to grow on
mechnically, as well as ways to solve problems, although a little thin on
programming. But, honestly, I'm not sure I've seen the programming complement to
it - certainly not in Robolab (I've not looked), and the closest I can thank of
in NQC is Dave Baum's book (is it still in print?).

--
Brian Davis