 Color / 924
Re: Open letter to the CEO of the LEGO Company / Call for your signs! (no discussions here please)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:21:51 GMT

This is a repost with cleaned up quote text.

In lugnet.color, Johannes Koehler wrote:
Hm, browsing through this Letter-to-CEO-thread I see those who agree to the
letter and disagree to the colour change just saying "I agree to the letter",
name, age.

I was going to make a comment about that, which was that I didn't think the
thread should be hijacked, personally.  That's why if you look, I haven't posted
to Ben's original message.  I think the idea of such a petition is stupid and
potentially damaging to everyone as a group, but the original poster requested
only petition signatures, not discussion.

OK, people are reading a post like Ben's Letter to the CEO, they think "Oh what
a whiner, grey is dead, why doesn't this guy get over it!" Now they could simply
skip the post and move on to the topics they are interested in and that are also
highlighted on Lugnet's front page: No flame, no hassle, no nothing.

Well, first, I think the original post requested no discussion, just sign your
name below if you agreed.  Fine with me.  I don't agree, but everyone knows my
opinion, so I didn't post into the thread.

I'm only posting now because someone (Richard) decided to bring this debate to
our doorstep (into our NG) and blame us directly (rtlToronto) of ridiculing
those who act on this colour change.  Iain is entitled to his opinion.  (I think
Ben is an incredible builder and I thank him for his contributions, but I too,
agree the man is a wank for posting such a thread)  To tell us to butt out of
criticising those who may inadvertendly offend us is inappropriate.  People
shouldn't hijack the thread, but we will not stop our commentary on this issue
overall.

But from a different perspective, "just skipping" ignores the fact that such
discussions are destructive to this community.  Let me explain...

So if this large part of this "community" really wouldn't care they could as
well get over the posts of those who care. And if they didn't like the colour
change why would they attack those who at least _try_ to do something to change
it back? If this attempt to do something shows any effect to the better it was
also for the better of them (OK, that's a bad sentence, pardon my English).

Otherwise - I repeat - they could just skip the topic.

No, I get your drift, your English is dead on.  The problem is that skipping the
topic is not an answer:  Indifference is one thing, but what I'm claming is that
the actions of the few (those who are angered by the colour change) are starting
to affect the rest of us.  Going to the company with such a letter paints all
AFOLs, regardless of language, as a bunch of whiners.  Accusations and blame
against folks like Jake means less opportunities for us.

You can't just say "skip that", because it affects all of us.

Oh, BTW, on www.1000steine.de there is - of course - the same Letter to the CEO
(in German) in two threads open for disussion and for signing. There are about
120 replies to the letter, all of them simply saying "I agree", name, age. No
flame, no hassle, no nothing. Those who do not agree simply do not sign the
letter, or they use the second thread open for discussion. (No flame there,
either, though.)

Well, that's ideally what should have happened.    Maybe the Germans are better
behaved, who knows. :)

Calum