 Color / 918
Re: Open letter to the CEO of the LEGO Company / Call for your signs! (no discussions here please)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:00:07 GMT

Hello!

In lugnet.color, Calum Tsang wrote:
I was going to make a comment about that, which was that I didn't think the
thread should be hijacked, personally.  That's why if you look, I haven't posted
to Ben's original message.

OK.

I think the idea of such a petition is stupid and
potentially damaging to everyone as a group

This is where I disagree. I believe open letters are a valid form of
communication with any companies and institutions.

Also I don't share the fear of many Lugnetters that such a letter (given it's
polite and rational) would damage anything for the AFOLs as a whole. At least
AFOLs have been whining and complaining and mourning all the time, and most of
this time LEGO listened to them, may it be openly in person of LEGO employees
being present in Lugnet disussions or fan events, or may it be silently, them
simply reading what that crazy crowd in that internet newsgroups was talking
about again.

And what happened? The AFOLs complained and TLC reacted. They gave us Legends
(which I personally am not too thankful for, but most of you are), they gave us
BULK, they gave us the opportunity to participate in the designing process of
products (My Own Creation, Factory (or how is that miniscale building thing
called?)), they even beefed up their liaison with the community, in spite of the
constant whining and mourning. They certainly won't stop all this just because
they possibly don't appreciate an open letter like the one Ben posted.

Indifference is one thing, but what I'm claming is that
the actions of the few (those who are angered by the colour change) are starting
to affect the rest of us.  Going to the company with such a letter paints all
AFOLs, regardless of language, as a bunch of whiners.  Accusations and blame
against folks like Jake means less opportunities for us.

Well, I don't know how Ben's letter reads to someone whose mothertongue is
English. I didn't find it too impolite or whining. I agree that speaking in the
name of "the AFOLs" is not correct, but speaking in the name of the undersigned
shouldn't be a problem. And if they (TLC) think the undersigned are whiners,
well then. I can live with that. It's a company we are speaking about, not some
human being on whose appreciation I set much value. In terms of personal
relationship that is, as for the customer-company-relationship I agree that it
is not unimportant. However, I don't see the latter relationship suffer from an
open letter like the one forming this thread's head.

Well, that's ideally what should have happened. Maybe the Germans are better
behaved, who knows. :)

Hm. That's probably why I am trolling around on Lugnet ....

Bye
Jojo