 Castle / 6343
Re: Castle Accesseries for Knight's Kingdom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 20:33:26 GMT

I too think a Lego/Tolkien team up would be great.  The Orcs, Trolls, and
Hobbits would be lots of fun.  But I think the closest we will get will be the
Harry Potter theme.  More than likely Tolkien will be considered too grown-up
for Lego's target consumers (ie, not us AFOL).

Just my two-bits,
Jason

Well, if TLC wants to bring legos into the realm of collectors (ie. the chrome
and ninja sets, along with the Minifigs Collections) then they appear to be
targeting the older consumer also.  As one of these, I can say that some sort
of Fantasy pairing would bring me out to buy more sets.  Their target audience
may be children, but I have the income to buy more than a few sets a year, a
lot more.

If TLC does read these news posting, let them know that children today are
much more sophisticated than I was as a kid, many are familiar with some of
the fantasy worlds and if they can read 700 page Harry Potter novels then they
certainly could be reading Tolkien.  The one thing Tolkien or Dragonlance have
over Potter is the multitude of adult fans who wouldn't hesitate to buy up
hundreds to thousands of dollars worth of Legos, remembering back to when they
were kids and all they wanted for Christmas was the $100 castle (so many
disappointing mornings when all I got was clothes).  If TLC reintroduces those
who were once Lugnets to a more exciting and diversified Castle Theme they
could become a major player in the adult hobbie market.  As I understand it,
TLC has committed itself to the following, taken from their press release:

http://www.lego.com/info/pressspecific.asp?PressReleaseId=90&Year=2000

"The LEGO Company’s vision is for children and adults all over the world to
experience positive and happy associations every time they see and/or use a
LEGO product. We also wish people to link the LEGO brand with values such as
creativity, imagination, unlimited opportunity, self-fulfilment, development,
quality and innovation. In concrete terms, our goal is for the LEGO brand to
be known as the strongest brand in the world among families with children by
2005."

Pay particular attention to the last sentence.  Hopefully, they will continue
to do so by winning over fantasy enthusists.

Rich