 Castle / 6198
Re: Interesting Wolfpack item on eBay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:23:22 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Frank Filz writes:

I've got no problems when people sell customized figures and are very
open that they have painted them. I do see a problem with people
derriving proffit from violating copyrights and trademarks, which this
seems close to.

And to be clear, eBay does as well.

In it's most recent issue (I don't have the number handy), _ToyFare_ magazine
ran a short article about people selling customised action figures on eBay
having their auctions shut down due to copyright infringement.  When a person
makes a customised fig of a comic book character, for example, and sells it on
eBay, it could definitely be construed as harmful to the owner of the copyright
on that character.  Just because there are no, say, Green Goblin figures today
doesn't mean that some company isn't going to want to buy the rights to make on
when the Spider-Man movie finally gets released.

I'm not sure how protected that Wolfpack emblem is, does
anyone know?

It probably has the same copyright protections that other TLC logos have.

As I have mentioned before, I'd love to get some Wolfpack
sails made but I am unwilling to violate TLC's interest in its property
to do so. I feel that if I made it myself for myself, that that could
fit under fair use, but I feel that selling such an item would not be
fair use.

I think you could easily make them for yourself, and even give a few away,
before TLC would really care.  Selling them, though, would be a big no-no.

eric