 Castle / 5823
5822  |  5824
Subject:
Musical Minifigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:48:50 GMT

No, no, no, this isn't about musicians, though I suppose a minifig lute or
drum wouldn't be a bad thing.

This is about Kings.  Plural.  It's good to be king, but having a cohort of
kings gets to be too much.  6026 is a decent way to build an army up since a
current Castle minifig pack is unavailable.  Now, dual kings is something that
is not unprecedented in history - it was standard with Sparta (if a bit before
the Castles timeframe).  But 20 kings?

Okay, the obvious is simply to acquire some new helmets. Thankfully, I
laid in a stock of (conveniently) 20 morion helmets from the Pirates Armada
figures.  A little out of period, but not by much.

Then I tally up my Pirates figures, trying to make somewhat equal factions.  67
blue soldiers, 40 red soldiers, and a paltry 30 Armada guys (with a few still
hiding in unopened boxes.  Okay, The Black Watch (10 Cap'n Redbeards with black
prothesetics, gray backpack, shako, and black muskets) joins the red faction.
Okay, I need about 20 more guys for the Armada faction and boy am I glad I got
those 20 morion helmets...that...I...just...used.  Drat.

Okay, musical chairs, or musical accessories time. The guy with the breastplate
print and Kettle Helm (Ketyl Hat, Chapelle de Fer, whatever) gets the Morion
helmet. This gives a reasonable facsimile of a Conquistador, and actually
balances better visually. The chromed breastplate from the Armada guys goes to
Knights with visored or grilled helmets where the size of the two balance. The
Kettle Helms go to the Kings who now become useful troopers.

Any other cross-pollinations that people like?

Bruce