 Castle / 5313
Re: Harry Potter Lego Line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 23:02:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Shiri Dori writes:
XP .castle

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Lill writes:
I agree. Licensing is not inherently a bad thing. It could lead to a general
loss of creativity but the Star Wars line doesn't suffer from that at all.

True. I'm not completely happy about the trend of licensing, but the SW sets
were better than the rest of the system sets (like Eric mentioned) and brought
a lot of great new pieces, many of them multiple uses.

Aye, there's pieces in the SW line that I'd been wishing for ever since I can
remember, both new pieces and old pieces in new colors.  And the minifigs are
the best I've seen yet; especially the face design.  I hope that they continue
this trend.

think what's important is that they choose licenses not for their popularity
but for their possibilities as sets. Harry Potter doesn't strike me as a
subject that can inspire great sets.

Sorry, gotta disagree here. I definitely see some major potential with this.
Hogwarts (not Mugwurts ;-) is a very large castle; I don't see one set for it.
In fact, I'd be thrilled to see TLC create a bunch of modular sets that can
stand alone yet could be put together to put a complete Hogwarts. (or is that
wishful thinking...) Rich/spoiled/hard working kids and AFOLs can buy the
entire system... while the average kid could buy one or two sets of their
favorite places, etc etc.

Hogwarts strikes me as a fabulous place from the two first books, and I would
love to see it in lego.
(Haven't picked up the 3rd and 4th yet... will soon...)

I've never read the Harry Potter books...looks like I might have to start! ;-)
-Chris

-Shiri
--I'm too lazy to even say I'm going on vacation. It might take me a while to
reply after the 15th. :-)