 Castle / 5278
Re: Castle design against seige craft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 05:19:20 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Matt Penney writes:
Howdy All,
I am currently playing around with ideas for my first castle.  In doing
research (since I'm typically a space guy) I have found that seige craft
(towers and rams) pose the greatest threat to a walled defense.

Since a moat is hard to represent with legos would a castle on the plains use
dragon teeth like in WWII?  How much does this damage the visual effect of the
"Grand Wall" idea?

I am working on a river (32x32 blue baseplates) and moat defenses on my
current project (no pics yet due to space limitations)

dragon teeth are designed to impede mass progress by infantry/cavalry and to
hamper large vehicles/seige machines...as is my understanding...

I am using topgraphy as a primary defense...moats...narrow causeways...and
roads/paths that force aggresors to follow a serpentine course under
catapult and archer fire.

I think it would be possible to do "tiger teeth" or "dragon's tooth"
defenses mounted a couple of baseplates out from your main structure...like
a curtain wall, stockade/palisade thing...I attempted to do this with
spears, but even w/ 100 or more it was less than impressive.

Could the walls use a sharp (45 degree) angled base to prevent rams and
towers from reaching a useable position?  How tall would the angle and the
total wall need to be to keep the castle appearance?

I have never tried this...but I caution against designing a fortress to
combat only a couple seige machines...

Any expert out there who can tell me if these ideas were ever employed?

I haven't seen any yet, but I am sure they exist.

I am not an expert, but I have built a few castles in my time = )

Just trying to think outside the wall,
Matt

There are alot of variables given your vision for you project...without a
general idea of your scale or ambitions...I can only speculate...

Rams and towers are effective against certain styles of castles...but use of
them can be limited by the clever engineer that desined he castle...

Castles and fortresses are generally built in areas that are strategically
important w/ a command of the surrounding landscape...so this book I have
says....the idea being that they are placed/built in such a way as to take
maximum command of the landscape while hampering invaders.  A series of
defenses wears down the attackers.

  I am trying to design a structure that minimizes the effectiveness of
these weapons using a combination of topography and engineering...

To lay seige to my visionary fortress you would have to breech the primary
defenses before bringing up a ram or tower...

These defenses include:

Narrow land access ways with a series of moats

A series of defensive walls and towers

A narrow L-shaped causeway that forces invaders to expose themselves to archers

An even narrower bridge whose deck supports can be pulled

15-20 brick high walls

A very large thick door on a very fortified gatehouse
(where arrows, rocks, and boilng oil can rain down on the attackers)

A fortress that is 50+ studs tall

To use a seige tower effectively...attacking forces would have to fill the
moats and create a ramp to use it...a Ram would be useless once the bridge
to the main gate is no longer useful.

However, just as there are clever ways to defend, there are clever ways to
circumvent these obstacles...catapults and fire being the principle ones...

yes someday in the future, my ninja fortress will be underseige by the Euro
guys, and they may actually win
= o

                    John