 Castle / 5051
Re: Hi, what is castle (Currently spaceaholic!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 19:58:51 GMT

Blah, blah, blah snipped

Ninja theme Castle sets are an acquired taste...
Many people dislike this theme as much or more than Fright Knights...lol

I LOVE the Fright Knights Sets! They're part of what got me back into LEGO and
out of my dark ages again! The color combinations I thought were cool. Plus, I
like the bats.....

I am not a fan of Fright Knights (since my Castle collection started with
the 375 Yellow Castle...the Galaxy explorer of Castle theme).  However, now
that the 6097 Fright Knight's castle is readily available for $40 or less
on-line and in stores, you may want to pick it up.  The design is not
fantastic, but you get a few figs and some great basic elements like a large
portculis, arches, windows, and weapons.  You will need basic bricks to
supplement creations using this set, since it has many BURP/POOP type parts.

I will definitely agree the design of the castles leaves much to be desired.
Both the Bat Lord's Castle and the Witch's Manor are fairly well "Juniorized."

I also own several copies of all the Ninja sets, so you know where I stand.
I recommend if you are hesitant to acquire this theme, trade w/ another AFOL
for some Ninja theme stuff or scour your local retailers for discounted
sets.  The Ninja theme has been discontinued, so you'll probably be able to
find a few sets at a good price.  I will worn you that these sets have alot
of "short cut" pieces like too many 1x2x5 brick columns, 8x8 mega bricks,
very few basic brick elements etc.  These are an acquired taste also, you
really need a good supply of basic elements to create sturdy structures.

At first I wasn't too into the Ninja sets at all. the Oriental theme didn't
quite blow my skirt up. But, after springing for a few I realized they were
fairly well designed with some interesting and unique parts. The same goes for
the Star Wars sets. All of these newer sets are really exploding with the
new(ish) colors and old colors in new and interesting forms and shapes they
were never in before. The wider variety of basic bricks in new colors (Dark
Gray, tan, and green) s going to be accenting a NUMBER of my newer creations.

Just my two cents,

Matt