 Castle / 2172
2171  |  2173
Subject:
Wow. Castle was good!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 20:31:37 GMT

I only had classic space (pre-Blacktron) and freestyle when I was a kid, so I
never really knew what the castle series used to be like.

I've come out of my dark ages tuned into castle in a big way (1). I've been
collecting a lot of clearance Ninja, and some of everything else for parts.
I've also tried to ebay a few old foresty sets, to create a small force of
rangers (2).

I've created a blacksmith shop (waiting on pictures to be developed and
scanned, but a no-lego-yet preview is at
http://home.xnet.com/~catena/smithy.html), and some other stuff, and I've been
poking through the instruction scans at Brickshelf for ideas.

The point (finally): since my only castle building experience is post-1995
sets, imagine my surprise to find a series of buildings in the castle series
that FIT IN WITH EACH OTHER! Wow! several sets with technic pegs on the ends,
that are designed to attach together, and build up a castle wall with the
buildings already there!!!!! I was absolutely amazed. This is the _point_ of
Lego, a real joinable castle _system_, and it was done so very well in these
sets. (3)

And the seige equipment! The smaller double catapult in 6039 is sweet, the
large catapult in 6030 seems sturdy (though the Bull's Catapult Crusher is
okay) and the piece de resistance: that black seige tower in 6061 with the
drawbridge that could be raised! The bulls have a nice seige tower, but one
unit of archers and everybody in the tower is dead. The black one has walls!

So, here's my question: were all those great designers shot, as undesirables in
the Great Leap Juniorward? Or did they move on to the Technic series?

(1) Buildings, buildings, buildings, 80-men standing army with calvary and
siege equipment, gatehouses and ramparts and keeps... Anyway, I'm not as
interested in ships anymore, or things that go "whoosh"--except the Tie
Interceptor. I can't bring myself to break it down for the plates I desparately
need for my castle ramparts. Guess I'll need to buy another.

(2) I play a Ranger in an online RPG (<plug>www.threshold-rpg.com</plug>), so
I'm sentimentally attached to them. It was a lot easier to make a thief than it
is a ranger. All a thief took was a black horse, brown saddle, silver dagger
and longsword (black sword would be better, but... well, maybe I could use a
black katana), darth maul body (legs, torso, cape, hood), and a Jet face with
the mike x-acto'd off (my first plastic surgery).

(3) E.g., blacksmith shop, guarded inn, armor shop, 6061, 6062, and the
gatehouses--6074 and 6073 (with a very minor technic hole-and-peg adaptation).
Or was 6073 supposed to be a motte/keep?