 Castle / 20860
20859  |  20861
Subject:
More on BrickFest 2005 Castle Room
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.announce
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 17:39:35 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi all,

OK, a little more on Castle Room awards, and a lot more on what should be the
centre of attention in the Castle Room. I am of course talking about the CCC
display:

While Micro and Vig competitions are trans-theme, there will be an award given
for Best Castle-related Micro MOC. Vig awards are not done by theme, but
Castle-related vignettes will be elligible for the many vig awards, which is the
perfect opportunity to let your Castle signature fig shine in their very own
vig." or something like that.

http://www.bmts.com/~bccook/microvig.htm

Other awards will of course be given for the best MOCs the room has to offer
(yet to be finalized depending on budget, but probably as last year: best small,
medium and large MOC

I'm also very excited about seeing what new cool stuff we can do with the
Classic Castle City display this year.

For anyone unfamiliar with CCC (AKA 3Cs) - Classic Castle City is a building
style designed for modular community projects for castle builders. The idea
being that if everyone builds walls to the same dimension, then they can be
hooked up together to form a big impressive display. CCC also has free standing
buildings inside the walls and these are typically built on plates rather than a
baseplate. This allows us to place them wherever we like at interesting angles,
avoiding that modern and highly unmedieval grid city look which works far better
for Town and maybe Space displays.

For details of what size to build your CCC MOCs check out:

http://www.classic-castle.com/ccc/standard.html

Here's a link to last year's display - as you can see we had a very large and
impressive group effort:

We're going to try to top that this time around. In hindsight, one of the
problems last year was that the display was uneccesarily big; it took up space
that might otherwise have given viewers more space to walk around and admire it,
and it was so large and deep that lots of the great small details got lost
(especially for children on the public day, who can't see over walls and
buildings as easily as adults). In addition to that, real medieval towns were
typically crowded with houses and buildings nestling close to one another. For
these reason we're aiming for a leaner and hopefully more manageable and better
looking CCC display this year.

This effectively means cramming as many buildings inside a smaller curtain wall,
for a more bustling clustered look. We may also only have walls on three sides
of the town in order to let people look into the town "from the inside" so to
speak.

There all kinds of things I'd love to see this time around, here are just a few
ideas for inspiration:

Wall sections:

So if you're building a wall section for the CCC town? Awesome! But why settle
for a simple wall section? How about a building built into the wall itself?
Instead of building a relatively simple "wall with a turret", how about building
a structure which is incorporated ito the wall itself. I was surprised there
weren't more of these last year. Think along the lines of the Classic Guarded
Inn set for example. That way we save on space and it looks extra cool too!

Remember that your walls will be linked up to everyone else's walls. If you want
to build them a different size than the standard, remember to also build some
kind of way for your non-standard wall to merge with the standard wall sections
that other people bring. One way to do this is have a section of wall that
gradually gets shorter til it reaches CCC wall standard size.

Buildings:

Anyone want to branch out in building styles a little? Last year there were a
lot of Siskindian-style half timber square houses. That's really cool, but
there's other stuff too. Does anyone want to build a log house using the brown
Fort Legoredo pieces? Or maybe a mud or stone hut? If you're a big fan of the
half timber look, how about going for a larger, less basic building (Derek Schin
had a great one last year).

We've also been talking about having a sort of open countryside area, with
peasants and stuff - I think would be great - after all, only a small fraction
of the population of medieval societies lived in urban areas. For this part of
the display, I'm thinking MOCs like a windmill, a lone isolated monastery,
peasants' huts, a farm, fields of crops, hmm maybe an outlaw hideout or two,
even a small (deserted?) castle.

There will of course also be MOCs which aren't designed to be part of the CCC
display and that is totally cool. Right now it looks likely that Castle-related
Vigs and Micro MOCs will go along with all the other Micro and Vig stuff rather
than be displayed in the Castle room. This is somewhat flexible depending on how
much space we have where and the wishes of the individual builder, but we're
aiming to do a seperate Micro room and a Vig room. It would be very cool if the
Castle theme is well represented there.

Looking forward to seeing you in August

Magnus