 Castle / 20278
Re: Dude, Where's My Pic?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 03:43:30 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.castle, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.castle, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
   Very odd. All the other folders in his gallery seem fine:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Obi-Juan-Kenobi

But all of the pics in the LotR are broken images.

Bruce

That’s actually a good sign I think, because when I saw it, every image in his folder was broken. Perhaps that means it is being mended.

When you click through to the JPGs you get “access denied” page not “page not found” so hopefully it’s just a permissions thing.

ROSCO

Sometimes we have to disable access to files that are deep linked excessively. In this case someone using the Korean mega-portal daum.net was inlining all of the images in that folder in a forum post. Messages on that forum appear to get varying levels of exposure depending on some unknown factors. In the most extreme cases, which have happened several times, the message will get thousands of views per second, each loading dozens of full sized images. This can easially consume > 70 megabits per second for a day or more. Since we can’t afford to regularly do that, we temporarally disable folders as soon as we notice full size images being inlined from daum.net. Access to the files is usually restored in a day or two after the abusive linking subsides.

KL