 Castle / 15806
15805  |  15807
Subject:
Dragon's Archipelago
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 04:55:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

~~~after two kinda negative posts, here's something constructive:

A Castle based role-play game.  Concept heavily influenced by the recent space
Starship (courtesy of mr. hendo's excellent explanation of the same).

I'm trying to capture the strengths of both Starship and IOM, while avoiding
the weaknesses.  Also, nitpicky rules (like character strengths, combat, etc)
would then fall to individual GM's who could design and execute those rules w/o
need of excessive discussion about it.

This is, of course, a rough outline-concept.

--Dragon's Archipelago--

Concept: Like Isle of Mist, D.A. is about exploration and problem solving.
Except instead of one giant island, we have many different ones.  Each island
will have a game-master who will controll the game on that island.  The games
will be something along the lines of searching for lost gold, killing a
horrible monster, etc.

Gameplay:
* Each player will create a expedition party and leave for the island.
* Players will direct the actions of their party.
* Interactions between parties will be governed by the respective players,
unless the G.M. has other rules.  These rules should be created in advance.
* Aside from D.A. Over-rules, G.M.'s will create rules that govern their
island.  Such as dealing with combat, etc.
* G.M.'s will control non-player island natives and monsters.
* 'Turns' will be one week, ending on Sunday.

Islands:
Each G.M. will create an island and an island map.  The map will correspond to
the relative size of the island (in relation to other islands, etc).  The G.M.
will also be responcible for deciding the particular game (finding treasure,
whatever), and creating and enforcing rules that govern the island (combat,
commerce, etc).

Islands can be either developed (with villages, towns, etc) or undeveloped (all
swamp with monsters).

===
Development would only require some noble person to create the Archipelago and
make a map of it.  Then subsequent playing would take place either via email or
something.  Maintainence would require only the activity of the individual
players and GM's, so it would rise or fall depended solely on participation.

Please, comments are welcome.
Following recent comments about gaming vs. castle, this is follow up to
fun.gaming

_lenny