 Castle / 1578
Re: 4x2ReVu: 6094 Guarded Treasury
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:41:55 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:

Sad, but true. The 'figs have gotten better, but the buildings have gotten
worse. Not only are they more poorly designed (IMHO) but they've got fewer
pieces to boot... and the pieces they DO have are pathetically juniorized.

The fig's are great A+ in my mind.  As far as juniorization well yes they are
juniorized but pathertically juniorized I am not sure.

Also, the ONE other reason that boosts this set in my mind is the 1x2x2.5
arched GRAY window with insert, I believe only previously avaiable in red?
(Maybe it appeared in a Belville set or something I didn't see, though) This
is a really cool piece, and this is the only set I know of that it is
availablein (And there's only 1 in the set :( )

Must have more arched Gray windows!.  Great part.  I do think I have seen some
pictures of other colors of these and I think they were white and on a pirate
ship of some sort.

Miniatures fans will
undoubtedly scoop up the sets for the new figures but building fans will want
to avoid the sad decline in creativity.  I confess that I'm still considering
picking up the 6096 Bulls Attack set and the large 6091 King Leo's Castle but
it won't be with any hopes of a challenge in constructions.

Personal note- 6091 is right on. No challenge. Construction is pretty much
exactly the same style as the Guarded Treasury-- pathetic. Bulls Attack is
actually a pretty good set though (IMHO)... although the use of the revolving
door frame piece was a big let down (it's used a couple times in 6096, I
believe, in black, with no revolving part, as a frame for the structures...
that was pretty sad). Otherwise, Bulls' Attack was a pretty good set...

Well I think I am a bit in between here I think that 6094 was juniorized with
one major group of pieces the 1x2x5 DkGray Bricks.  The new tower is not that
bad and with some creativity it is useful although not as useful as bricks.

As far as 6091 goes I don't know.  It is juniorized to an extent but it is no
where near as bad as I was expecting after seeing the reviews and comments I
have seen here.  To me the worst parts in this set are:

1.  1x2x2 Gray Bricks (These are worse that the 1x2x5 bricks).  Just give use 2
1x2 bricks there are enough of them in the set already why do we need a 2 high
brick.

2.  2x2x3 Black Bricks (See above)

3.  The arched gate part.  Now I understand this was made to accomidate the
gate but I would think with a little creativity the save effect could have been
achived with more standard parts.

Now I agree that this set is on the easy side in terms of construction but the
part selection while low is not as bad as I though it would be.  Other than the
1x2x5 bricks and the parts stated above I think all the other parts are at
least useful.  Even the new tower pieces.

Besides the figs are Great and if I can get this set for 25% off at some point
in the future I might get it mostly for the figs but also because it has quite
a few good bits as well.

!!!4x2ReVu Stats!!!
Rating:  Two out of eight studs.
Thumbs up for: Neat figures (the only saving grace of this set).
Thumbs down on: Terribly basic designs using a minimal number of
creatively-challenged elements.
Wallet-Wise:  $15.00 suggested U.S. retail for 101 pieces.
Date:  1/3/2000

I think I'd give it a 3/8... MAYBE a 4/8-- but mostly that's for specific
pieces that the set comes with that I like (the window, the figs, the blue
slopes, the bit of tan, etc). But if you buy sets for the model, this one's a
pretty big let down.

For this set I would have to agree on the 3/8.  This set is poor with the
exception of the figs, the Window, and the Blue Slopes.

As far as the 6091 I personally would rate it higher then most of you seem to.
Maybe this is because I am new to the castle theme and my mind is not clouded
by the quality of past sets but I think it is an OK set.  Not great but at
least OK.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/