 Castle / 14959
14958  |  14960
Subject:
Permanent Standard - A Medieval Town
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 01:16:02 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Warning!!! Extremely Long Post ;)

I have begun working on a building standard imposed on new construction by
local authorities in a late medieval town.  Town layout and floor plan
limitations still need to be made.

Anyone who would like to help or give input please reply to this article or
email me at ben_289@hotmail.com
People with time and web page experience would be very helpful.

Permanent Town Ideas:

Models

Assembly - All models can be rendered and/or built.  Cad files will be
assembled into street scenes.

Design and quality – All models shall be of high quality and thought out
design.  Try to be historically accurate if possible (13th – 16th
centuries).  The town shall show the best castle buildings that our
community can design.  Models should be good enough to become a set made by
LEGO.  Several factors are involved.  Playability – the set should open with
hinges, a removable wall or roof, or separate with technic pins.  Moveable
features like pulleys, trap doors, secret vaults, etc are a plus.  Buildings
should be appropriately furnished – what is inside a set is as important as
the exterior design.

Materials - Please use appropriate color schemes.  Timber framed buildings
should have black or brown posts and beams.  Stucco (wattle and daub) colors
shall be limited to white, yellow, and tan.  Wood roofs shall be brown, or
black.  Stone/tile roofs shall be light grey, dark grey, orange, red, or
blue (blue should be used infrequently).  Stone walls shall be dark grey,
light grey, or white if they are whitewashed.  Flooring material is required
on the ground level – one layer of plates.

Town Layout

Direction of Streets - Streets shall be laid out in a north/south/east/west
grid pattern.

Block shape - Each block shall be square or rectangular.  Rectangular lots
greatest dimension shall not be more than one and one half times its
shortest dimension. Sizes may be 32 x 32 and 64 x 32

Street Width - Main streets shall be a minimum of 16 studs wide.  Normal
streets shall be 8 studs wide.  Alleys shall be 2 studs wide.

Town Square - The town shall have a central square which is 128 x 128 studs.
Buildings surrounding the square should be commercial, political, and
religious - such as a town hall, church/cathedral, mayor's house, banker's
houses, merchant's houses, etc.

Paving – All main roads and squares shall be paved.  Light grey plates will
be used.  If a street is not paved it must be tan or brown (depending on the
weather).  Green grass is not allowed – weeds and small patches of grass are
allowed.

Street Naming – Major streets shall have appropriate names such as King
Street or Queen’s way.  Other streets shall be named by function – market
street, dock street, etc.

Lot Sizes – maximum building sizes – 8 x 16, 16 x 16, 16 x 24, 16 x 32 –
roads shall not be included on lot sizes but a one stud offset from the
street sides is recommended.

Assignment of Lots – After the town lots have been arranged and zoning has
been established, lots shall be given out in a first come first serve basis.
Buildings should be in appropriate places.

Building Types

Commercial - shall be located near the center of town and shall have high
quality wood or stone construction with lavish amenities.  Building Height
shall be no greater than three stories (an attic space is a third story).
A wide variety of building types are needed.  Try to build something that
has not been built yet.  Since our town will be commercially successful like
Amsterdam or Bruges we will need many warehouses to store goods for our
shops and markets.

Political - These buildings are focal points of the town.  They shall be
constructed of stone and may have a maximum height of four stories with the
exception of the cathedral, church spires, and the town hall tower.

Residential - Houses vary in scale and construction.  The rich have stone or
half stone buildings, which are large and should not exceed three stories in
height.  The poor have much smaller wood houses that are one to two stories.
Residential buildings, which have shops on the first floor, can be three
stories.   Please remember that space is limited within the town wall.
Palatial residences are reserved for the bishop and mayor.

Religious – multiple small churches, a cathedral, and possibly a monastery
are needed.  A university complex can also be designed.

Military – Barracks and an armory shall near and/or attached to the exterior
town walls.  A town castle may be a future project.  Walls shall be four
studs wide by 28 studs tall, the top 4 studs being crenellations, and
connect with technic pins.

Public Areas – The town will need several small squares – 16 x 16 studs, a
dock at the waterfront, small bridges to cross the river.

This is all I can think of so far.  Please add your ideas for consideration.

Thanks,

Ben Ellermann